View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2006, 12:49 PM

Takara fed biscuits by a stranger and is now poorly - could this be connected?

Takara's poorly

We went to the park and there's a man there who constantly feeds other people's dogs while walking his own.

Despite me asking him not to, he fed Takara at least 6 biskrock biscuits and a handful of dry dog food biscuits.

I did keep telling him that she wouldn't eat her dinner, and that she has a sensitive tummy (the slightest thing gives her the runs) but he still fed her a few more after I told him.

Thankfully he didn't feed her as many as he fed his and another person's dog but when we got home she went straight to bed and threw up, she's been throwing up all morning and even threw her water back up.
She's not keen on taking water and is asleep wrapped in a blanket right now, trembling every time she breathes in.

Do you think this is down to the biscuits? She is used to biscrock but only one a day at bedtime. Or do you think it's something else?

Am I worrying too much? I just don't want her to get dehydrated.

I'm supposed to be going for a meal tonight with the family and a family friend, it's been booked for ages and I don't know if I'm going over the top worrying about leaving her!

For now, I'm just keeping an eye on her, making sure she takes some water and trying not to worry! It's probably something and nothing, just very strange to see my mad lunatic absolutely flat out with no energy!
Katiecoos
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2006, 01:03 PM
Im so sorry Takara is feeling unwell, we have the same problem with a man at our park who insists on feeding all the other dogs and I know that lots of people have started to go to the park at a different time just to avoid him, is so annoying isn`t it. It might be a good idea to ring the vet and see what they think, which will make you feel a little bit better if you know whats going on. Its always worrying when these things happen at the weekend. I do hope she feels better soon.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-02-2006, 01:16 PM
Hi Lottie sorry Takara is poorly...it could be the biscuits but I would guess not really.

If the sickness continues best to see a vet. Do not let her drink large amounts of water at a time it will only come back, instead give her small amounts frequently ( a couple of tablespoons at a time)..hope she is better soon.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2006, 01:32 PM
Thanks guys,

Katie, my friend and I avoid him too - but it's difficult as he doesn't have a regular walking time!

Mini - thanks for the advice on water, I was just thinking if i ought to limit the amount and how!

Thanks again

She's trembling less now and has been awake for sympathy, then went back to sleep!
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2006, 07:38 PM
oh poor girl, I hope she is going to be okay. I sometimes carry liver treats and always ask if it's okay to give to another dog. Some people don't like it and that's fair enough. After recent events with Loki I would be furious if someone fed him. I really hope she is okay and it's nothing to do with the biscuits - chances are it isn't so try not to worry too much.
ally66
New Member!
Female 

25-02-2006, 08:03 PM
THE MAN IN THE PARK IS AN IDIOT AND SHOULD HAVE LISTENED TO YOU IN THE FIRST PLACE.I WOULD GUESS BISCUITS WERE O.K AS HE FED THEM TO HIS DOG.
aS TAKARA HAS BEEN VOMITING i WOULD GUESS THAT HER BODY HAS RID ITSELF OF WHATEVER IT DIDNT LIKE AND JUST NEEDS REST AND FLUIDS.iF IT WAS ME i'D GO OUT LEAVING HER FRESH WATER AND POSSIBLY ASK A FRIEND OR NEIGHBOUR TO POP
IN AND CHECK HER WHILE YOUR OUT? i'M SURE SHE'LL BE HER MAD LUNATIC SELF AGAIN TOMORROW.
Katiecoos
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2006, 11:21 AM
Lottie how is Takara this morning, is she better?
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2006, 01:19 PM
Is this man a regular of the park with the same dog? each time you see him? dont want to be a worrier, but I did read some time back on a USA website that a man (obviously not the same one) was walking round parks pretending to like dogs and giving them treats, but the treats were coated with antifreeze or something, many dogs were very sick, I would insist that he does NOT give your dogs treats if you see him again, insomuch if he did I would immediately take it off the dog and hand it back.

Mo
sez
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-02-2006, 01:26 PM
sorry takara is ill,its such a worry,dehydration is your main concern,inhad this with a bloke(alwys seems to be men?)in the end i actually slapped his hand and swore at him,he was trying to give them jammie dodgers,might be paraniod but anything could be hid in the jam,i wasnt taking any chances,sending hugs to takara,hope she comes round soon,i would be ringing the vet just in case

sez and the gang xxx
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2006, 02:15 PM
Hi guys, thanks.

I didn't get online much yesterday (puppy nursing! )

Well Takara is back to her usual self but still trying to push her luck 'oh mummy i'm only just better let me sit on the chair!'

Yesterday, I let her sleep for a while and then fed her small amounts of water at a time, I have to say it's the first time I've burped a dog!

We did go out, but were only out for 2-3 hours and she was a bit perkier before we left.

She didn't eat anything last night, as I wasn't sure what was caused it I decided not to feed her in case it was a bug.

Apparently, Frank, her greyhound friend (in pics section a while ago) has also been off and hasn't eaten for 2 days after the same man fed him biscuits.

He does feed his dog at the same time but they are biscrock which we were told to only give in very small amounts (Takara has 1 a day) because they are so rich. This man fed his dog and the CKCS that was with us at least 20 in half an hour! Thankfully Takara only got 6-8 (I wasn't entirely sure) thankfully!

At least I can go next time and say 'don't feed her at all from now on as she was very sick after she'd had so many' it's not a lie - even if it's not down to the biscuits, she did eat them and then was sick!

Thanks for your kind words guys, she's a lot better today and I think she's totally forgotten she was ever feeling off!

And I did take the opportunity to cut some of her nails!!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >