Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2005, 09:33 PM

lymphoma///

What eactly is lymphoma and is it curable? our chinchilla is suspected to have it on his tail and extending up his spine. It could just be an infection (bacterial or fungal) so we're trying baytril first - then in two weeks he goes back. If the vet's not pleased he'll need a biopsy to decide further measures

any ideas anyone?

xx
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2005, 09:36 PM
I had lymphoma...
It is one of the most curable cancers in people, so would think so in animals too?

Lymphoma is generally cancer of the lymph nodes/lymphatic system/bloods....but it depends how bad it is....
in my case (yes, i know i'm human) I had stage 4, the worst stage, and it had travelled through my lymphatic system, and into my main organs.

Did a search, but can't seem to find anything with ragards to lymphoma in chinchillas, sorry
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2005, 09:37 PM
well the vet didn't say anything about it being uncurable - but he did seem to think it as quite bad. I know chinchillas don't do very well under anaesthetic - and don't seem to respond well to some treatements - they tend to give up I really hope it's curable.

xx
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

05-12-2005, 11:47 AM
Just seen this thread,my last dog Max got this at 4 yrs old,T.cell lymphoma,very aggressive,and the most common cancers in young dogs.Unfortunately although we went straight away to the vet when we found a lump on his tummy there was nothing they could do,he could of had chemo,with the possibility of having another yr of life or palatable steroids,which gave him 8 wks,we opted for the latter,as the chemo wouldn't of cured him,we would of still at some point through the treatment had to have him pts.Good luck with your chinchilla.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2005, 11:56 AM
Lymphoma in humans & dogs/animals isn't comparable sadly as usually by the time the lymphoma is found in an animal it is at a much later stage than it is usually discouvered in humans.

I lost my Glen dog in 28 days from it's discovery & it broke my heart in two. Since then I've done regular "lump"checks on my dogs, but sadly other cancers took two of my boys

The only saving grace is the animal doesn't know
royv
Dogsey Senior
Male 

05-12-2005, 07:58 PM
My last dog also died of a lymphoma. There are two lines of lymphomas - T-cell mediated or B-cell mediated. If it is B-cell, there's a strong chance of a cure. If it is T-cell, there is only around a 10% chance of getting remission.

Unfortunately, my dog had the T-cell type. Mind you she put up a valiant fight, and had good quality of life for about 5 months after diagnosis.
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2005, 08:10 PM
thank you all - much help I hope whatever it is that Chill is OK.

xx
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2005, 08:11 PM
Think there are several types but I am sorry to say it is not good news. Hope that I am wrong and this type is treatable but if not my thoughts are with you and I am sorry that your chinchilla has this problem
Morgandy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-01-2006, 01:04 AM
Originally Posted by Zoundz
What eactly is lymphoma and is it curable? our chinchilla is suspected to have it on his tail and extending up his spine. It could just be an infection (bacterial or fungal) so we're trying baytril first - then in two weeks he goes back. If the vet's not pleased he'll need a biopsy to decide further measures

any ideas anyone?

xx
I keep chinchillas although down to my last 4 15 year olds. I have had loads of chinchillas probably about 100 over the 15 years ive been keeping them. Havent come across this before rats tend to suffer from cancers but not many chinchillas. What does it look like is it a lump? They dont fare well with illness or anhesetic they tend to just give up. There is exceptions i have lost a few when they have their legs amputated but one survived and is quite old now. I have found it difficult to find a vet that knows anything about chinchillas normally it is a specilalist vet that deals with exotic animals.
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2006, 12:54 AM
I do have a fabulous vet who deals with exotics (Lance Jepson) he's quite well known in the field. Chilly has his fourth consult with lance when we get the results of biopsy back tomorrow. I hope it goes well. It's several large lumps along the length of the tail - and no-one seems to know what it is to look at.

hmm.

xx
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >