Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
patterdale fan
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-10-2005, 05:59 PM

Myxymatosis

I just wondered if anyone knew anything about myxymatosis. I live in a very rural area and own working dogs, so I see loads of rabbits from day to day. About 50% of the rabbits caught by my dogs have mixie. I think the fact that my dogs catch these is good, the suffering involved for a rabbit with mixie is unimaginable. (although I know some reading this will say the same for being in my dog's mouth!) What I want to know is: Do farmers etc. put mixie down in the fields to get rid of the rabbits, or does it occur naturally.

OH and I have been arguing about this for years. He says the farmer does it, I say it's naturally occurring. Hope I'm right cos I'll never hear the end of it otherwise!
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2005, 06:00 PM
It was introduced and made by man as far as I know, but I thought it was now spread 'naturally'.
Fluffybunny
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-10-2005, 06:06 PM
Yes it was originally a man made illness designed to kill off wild rabbits who were causing massive damage to crops. Ever since it was introduced into the wild, it has then spread naturally. However apparently there is a farmer's group currently lobbying parliament to allow them to introduce another natural strain, as many rabbits are now naturally immune to it. This would be disastrous for us pet bunny owners, as the vaccine only just holds it at bay anyway, so would probably not be effective for any newly introduced strain!

I think you're right to put any that you find out of their misery, they will only die a slow, painful and horrible death if they aren't dealt with swiftly. It's not nice, but I think it's the lesser of the evils in that situation.
patterdale fan
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-10-2005, 06:18 PM
I don't know what the world's coming to when we have to use germ warfare tactics on rabbits! I think mixie has to be one of the worse diseases. It's distressing to see rabbits suffering from it, and they are obviously in real pain. Surely there must be more humane ways to kill them. Also I agree that the health of pet rabbits should be considered before any new strains are introduced.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2005, 06:25 PM
It was a disease bought in from Australia to control the spead of wild Rabbits, many are immune now which is why you see so many live Rabbits with horrific symptoms yet still exist in misery.
Dawn.
Miss Potter
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2005, 07:10 PM
There are alot of rabbits near me with Mixie! It is a dreadful disease! Someone told me the other day, it has flared up again because, now the weather is colder they have gone back down the burrows where the disease is incubating. Wheras in summer they were above ground and didnt get infected. I dont know if it is true, but it sounds very logical!
Fluffybunny
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-10-2005, 07:31 PM
Sounds feasible - I've heard lots of anecdotal reports of myxi being around at the moment. My vet said they haven't seen a single case all year and all of a sudden now there's been loads.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2005, 08:47 PM
You generally see it more now because of all the youngsters and a big rise in population.
Dawn.
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2005, 08:53 PM
Sorry to sound stupid but I've never heard of this disease - can someone enlighten me please?
Fluffybunny
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-10-2005, 09:36 PM
It's a rabbit disease caused by a virus, spread by insect vectors (commonly fleas, possibly mosquitos) which causes swelling of eyes, head and genitals. It slowly gets worse over the course of about 2 weeks and the vast majority of unvaccinated bunnies (and some vaccinated ones!) die from it. It causes the bunny to go blind and get very swollen and painful, and they usually die from dehydration/starvation as they cannot see or feel well enough to eat/drink. All pet rabbit owners should get their bunnies vaccinated at least annually, and in high risk areas, 6 monthly. 10% of the vaccination must be given into the skin (usually at the base of the ear) for it to be properly effective.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >