Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rob
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-11-2005, 01:28 PM

Help with housetraining. Urinating indoors at night

Can anyone help? Afew months ago a friend of my wife was given a dog that was liveing in a flat, the dog was useing a litter tray to do it's business in .Now every now ang again he leaves puddles by the door, it does'nt happen all the time.( only at night)He goes out 3 times a day.So does anyone know how to stop this?
Katrina342
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-11-2005, 01:41 PM
No real advice sorry, but i know that other dogwebbers are better qualified to advise re dog behaviour. I just wanted to wish you luck and can empathise. Puddles are a part of my life now unfortunately with my two old ladies. Mop, bucket with disinfectant, plenty of newspaper for the laminate flooring and a little less frenetic attitude towards my housekeeping have helped me cope! Is the dog very old? And I've never heard of dogs using litter trays before? good luck!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-11-2005, 02:36 PM
Hi Rob the little dog has obviously got used to going in the house all be it in a tray, he has never really learnt the only place to go to relieve himself is outside .If the owner wishes the behaviour to stop he must teach this now.I posted this the other day in response to a similar question..
rob
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-11-2005, 02:50 PM
Thanks Minihaha I'll pass that on to her
royv
Dogsey Senior
Male 

04-11-2005, 06:11 PM
When is the last time he is let out at night ? How long does he have to hold on for until he is let out again in the morning ?

Perhaps he can't hold on that long (or his bladder hasn't been developed to hold on that long).

It looks like he's trying his best to get to the garden, but the door is closed, so he does his best and does it near the door.
rob
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-11-2005, 06:51 PM
Originally Posted by royv
When is the last time he is let out at night ? How long does he have to hold on for until he is let out again in the morning ?

Perhaps he can't hold on that long (or his bladder hasn't been developed to hold on that long).

It looks like he's trying his best to get to the garden, but the door is closed, so he does his best and does it near the door.
he goes out at around 11pm and she gets up in the night to let him out
he has just turned 1 year old

I suggested that she puts down newspaper as obviously the litter tray has
left a little mark on him
crazy daisy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-11-2005, 07:02 PM
Hi Rob
How about putting him in a smallish crate, when he left and being really vigilant when he's out, then treat him just like a puppy, as soon as he comes out of the crate take him out and stay with him till he's performed. Being confined in the crate should stop him peeing as he'll have to sit in it. if you see him going to do it in the house mutter at him a bit in a dismissive way and take him out and stay with him. I find treating the symptom is very often much more effective than sitting stroking your chin wondering why the dogs got the problem.
Daisy
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

08-11-2005, 02:54 AM
This thread went off-track. Some posts have been deleted. Apologies to those that made some of them in good faith. Please use this thread for the thread starters post only. Thanks.
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2005, 07:33 AM
HI Rob

Shadowboxer made an excellent suggestion to a member of DW some time ago and I'm going to do likewise (although embarassed to say I should have done it by now but haven't!)

The suggestion was to tie a bell to the back door and teach the dog to ring it everytime it wants to go to do his/her business.

Fern has learnt to jump up on the handle we can hear this anyway but I'm off to get a bell so we can hear him clearly.

Shadowboxer will be able to show you exactly how its done, I wouldn't like to advise as I haven't yet practiced it myself
rob
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-11-2005, 11:17 AM
Originally Posted by eRaze
This thread went off-track. Some posts have been deleted. Apologies to those that made some of them in good faith. Please use this thread for the thread starters post only. Thanks.
It did a little .Thanks for all the advice I will pass them on (Iquite like the bell )
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >