Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
presley
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-10-2005, 05:24 PM

help I'm at my wits end - destructiveness when left alone

Presley will not behave when he is left alone. I went out for 15 minutes today and when I came home my kitchen was a bomb site. I've tried leavingthe tv on the hi fi on everything. The worst thing was that he managed to get a bread knife out of the top drawer and he cant even reach the middle one. Please help me guys, I dont know what to do. OH is going mad.
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-10-2005, 05:28 PM
Have you got a crate? I found this was the best and safest way to leave a pup at home. In fact Finn is 8 months and he still gets left in his.
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2005, 05:29 PM
Originally Posted by presley
Presley will not behave when he is left alone. I went out for 15 minutes today and when I came home my kitchen was a bomb site. I've tried leavingthe tv on the hi fi on everything. The worst thing was that he managed to get a bread knife out of the top drawer and he cant even reach the middle one. Please help me guys, I dont know what to do. OH is going mad.

Sounds like a little terror you have got on your hands there Have you got a dog crate because if you have it would probably be safer if he was in there whilst you popped out at least you would know he wasn't up to anything then
amts
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2005, 05:32 PM
How old is he and have you taught him how to behave when left alone?
It takes time and hard work. Or you can crate him.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-10-2005, 05:32 PM
Hi Presley
Don't despair ..as Carole says a crate for small periods of time could be your answer..there are lots to buy on the net and it will always be useful to have ...
Here is a Dogwebber Shadowboxer article about them...
http://www.dogweb.co.uk/talkdogs/the...sed_15552.html
presley
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-10-2005, 10:33 AM
Thanks for your help guys, I think a crate is the way to go.
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2005, 02:09 PM
Also tireing him out before you leave helps too, you will have to get up earlier so that you can either play with him or take him on a good walk. then when you crate him, he will be too tired to complaine about going in there, I would also if possible have someone just call in while you are out, to make sure he has settled in the crate I have had one pup from our litter,pull out a tooth on his crate as he was distressed.(long story) he's fine with crate now.

Mo
Dibley
Dogsey Senior
Male 

24-10-2005, 04:04 PM
How old is he? What is his behaviour like whilst your at home? Do you allow him to follow you around everywhere? Have you done any sort of training with him? Does he get enough excercise? Dogs have to be trained to stay home alone. Sorry for all the questions but these are things you need to look at to sort the problem out. Crate training will only work if there are no other issues which need addressing.
presley
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-10-2005, 10:23 AM
Originally Posted by Dibley
How old is he? What is his behaviour like whilst your at home? Do you allow him to follow you around everywhere? Have you done any sort of training with him? Does he get enough excercise? Dogs have to be trained to stay home alone. Sorry for all the questions but these are things you need to look at to sort the problem out. Crate training will only work if there are no other issues which need addressing.

11 weeks, fine while I'm at home, no he doesn't follow me everywhere, done quite a bit of training, pretty sure he gets enough excercise. One thing about crate training bothers me and thats how can he go to the toilet during the night? During the day he goes in the garden to go to the toilet but at night i leave newspaper down for him. Help anyone?
clydey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-10-2005, 10:51 AM
i would say go for the crate option i know what its like i had the the same problem with all of mine i known a time when ive came home and they`ve chewed a hole right in the middle of my floor and a hole in the wall then i became wise to the crate option.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >