Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
madmrssmith
New Member!
Female 

06-01-2015, 07:42 PM

Aggressive bitch after whelping

Hi, my mums bitch had puppies yesterday and has become very aggressive and snapping at anyone that goes near the pups, she was never like this before the pups came. I've read that this is normal and she should be left alone but what about any cleaning up or weighing the puppies? Should it just be left till she's happier? Thank you
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

06-01-2015, 07:54 PM
If she doesn't want anyone near then don't pressure her. I deliver my girls pups and they are quite happy to have me there to help, but anyone else that comes near isn't welcome, although no snapping they stand up and put themselves between the pups. I never let any strangers in for the first 4 weeks, only close family members, and make sure they take their shoes off at the door. Make sure she has water nearby and can eat when she wants to. Her milk won't come on properly for a couple of days as yet, then it will be half milk and at about 3 or 4 weeks it will be full milk, you will need to be feeding her lots of small meals a day, but at the present time she may not even eat for a while as she has eaten the afterbirths and that will sustain her through the first couple of days, they're all different in this though.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2015, 07:56 PM
Think she's being pretty clear for now she'd prefer some peace and quiet Maybe you could do the necessities while she's eating,in another room,or on a pee break.Hope they are all doing well
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

06-01-2015, 08:06 PM
She'll have cleaned them up herself and they can do without weighing for a few days. Some dogs don't go to the loo for a day or so when they're looking after newborns, and they don't always eat either. You need to let her make her own way with this and not pressure her in any way.
madmrssmith
New Member!
Female 

06-01-2015, 08:26 PM
Thank you so much for all your replies! She seems to be looking after the pups well .x
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

06-01-2015, 08:28 PM
Thats great news, she's happy being a mum and in her little bubble at the moment with them. She'll let you know when she's ready for you to meet them.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2015, 08:33 PM
What breed is she? It's not important, I'm just curious
Great that she is doing so well with them.