Our sister sites
Our sister sites
LauMeur
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-05-2014, 09:49 PM

Older dog pees on younger dog

Hi!!

I'm quite confused and worried by this situation. My older dog, a 4 year old golden retriever mix, pees on my 1 year old dobermann when he se es him go pee. I understand that it might be a territorial thing since they're both males and the golden retriever mix is older, but what I don't get is why is the dobermann letting him, he doesn't even move to get away. At the beginning of this behaviour, I thought it was because he was a puppie; by then the retriever would even take his food when he thought no one was looking and the doby would let him, but as the doby grew older (and quite bigger than him), he started defending his food. Why doesn't he do the same with the peing situation? I don't know what to do, because I can't watch them 24/7 and I don't want my doby to continue to be abused

Think you!
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2014, 11:51 PM
If the Dobe doesn't seem bothered by it, I'd not call it abuse, I'd simply call it disgusting It's like you said, if Dobe hated it that much... he'd do something about it himself.

You can try discouraging the Golden by calling his name when it starts or gently physically removing him or calling the Dobe away when this happens, as well. I think this'll stop when the Dobe wants it to. He's still a young dog and one day he might decide enough is enough.

My Nigredo was like this, Jade used to push him around when he was little and one day he decided he was big enough to challenge her and their relationship has changed ever since. She still tries her luck sometimes, but he is clearly the "leader" dog now.

Nigredo sometimes goes under Jade to sniff when she squats to pee and gets wee on top of his head/muzzle and does not seem to care at all. I care, though! I just wipe his head off with a moist cloth. Does the trick.

Nigredo also still squats to pee 100% of the time even at 17 months and splashes pee on himself while doing so, so wipe that off regularly, as well. I suppose when you have a dog that often wees on himself, you are just used to wiping doggies off every now and then.
LauMeur
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-05-2014, 02:31 AM
Hi! First of all, I love your Nigredo. That being said, I have indeed tried to stop the retriever, but if I call him, he will not listen and just today I tried to move him -and let me note that not in any violent way- and he jumped and tried to bite me. I was lucky enough to push him by the chest, because he was aiming for my face! The doby, Zeus, did start barking to Estambres (the retriever) and I have never seen him so mad.

And I guess that you're right that he's not being bother enough to do something about it, but it's just so frustrating to see Zeus being literaly pissed on. And I'd really like to find out why is he not bother by it.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2014, 08:26 AM
Could you keep the retriever away while the other dog pees, we have to make sure Betty has a bit of privacy as Elsie think her poop is a snack, so they are kept a little apart while they go.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-05-2014, 08:39 AM
It's quite common, all my dogs try to pee on top of each others pee and that frequently includes piddling up each other. I stop them in their tracks. I'm not bothered by the abuse angle as I don't see it that way but I don't want dogs that smell of piddle.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2014, 12:06 PM
He tried to bite you? Oh, no! It's likely a territorial thing in that case if he's getting aggressive about it. Aggression from your own dogs cannot be tolerated. No way. He must learn that this is absolutely inappropriate.

It will also cause a rift between your two dogs as Dobes are naturally very protective and if Zeus senses you're being threatened, he might attack Estambres and hurt him. Will save you from being bitten, but I have a feeling Estambres will not be so lucky.

Perhaps you should put a leash on Estambres when he goes out and keep him AWAY from Zeus when they go potty. Praise him when he goes potty away from Zeus. And if he tries to pee on him, remove him with the leash instead of physically removing him.

Or put a muzzle on Estambres when they both go out and then you can safely physically remove Estambres without being bitten and give him a treat for going potty away from Zeus, this'll help train him that it's not okay to pee on the other dog OR snap at you.
lorniec
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-05-2014, 02:43 PM
I agree with myra, making them go outside separtately for a while may break the habit , maybe as he is a year now and maturing there is a hormonal scent change which has triggered this? .... had to smile they do some strange things these doggies
LauMeur
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-05-2014, 05:13 PM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
Could you keep the retriever away while the other dog pees, we have to make sure Betty has a bit of privacy as Elsie think her poop is a snack, so they are kept a little apart while they go.
I try and do that when I can, it's proven the most effective so far, but sometimes I just can't since they are both in a yard without divisions.
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
It's quite common, all my dogs try to pee on top of each others pee and that frequently includes piddling up each other. I stop them in their tracks. I'm not bothered by the abuse angle as I don't see it that way but I don't want dogs that smell of piddle.
Really? I don't have much experience since it's the first time I have two doggies at the same time, but I've been a little less worried since you guys told me that is not so out of the ordinary.
Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
He tried to bite you? Oh, no! It's likely a territorial thing in that case if he's getting aggressive about it. Aggression from your own dogs cannot be tolerated. No way. He must learn that this is absolutely inappropriate.

It will also cause a rift between your two dogs as Dobes are naturally very protective and if Zeus senses you're being threatened, he might attack Estambres and hurt him. Will save you from being bitten, but I have a feeling Estambres will not be so lucky.

Perhaps you should put a leash on Estambres when he goes out and keep him AWAY from Zeus when they go potty. Praise him when he goes potty away from Zeus. And if he tries to pee on him, remove him with the leash instead of physically removing him.

Or put a muzzle on Estambres when they both go out and then you can safely physically remove Estambres without being bitten and give him a treat for going potty away from Zeus, this'll help train him that it's not okay to pee on the other dog OR snap at you.
I do take them separately because it's impossible for the weak me to take them both, so my dad takes Estambres and I take Zeus and they have no problem then, I mean, Estambres won't even try and pee near Zeus at all, it's just a thing happening when they are in the house. I'll try to put the muzzle on Estambres for training, I guess it's becoming the only way since he has tried to bite me more than once...
Originally Posted by lorniec View Post
I agree with myra, making them go outside separtately for a while may break the habit , maybe as he is a year now and maturing there is a hormonal scent change which has triggered this? .... had to smile they do some strange things these doggies
I'll try this approach maybe putting Estambres in a different place, and I'm just sorry because Zeus loves him and gets sad when he's not around in the yard, even though he takes his blankets, his food when he's not looking and pees on him! Go figure
Lindsay&River
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-05-2014, 06:33 PM
I walk two Rottie littermates who are 6 years old. One will pee on the other quite often. He does so while trying to pee over where his brother is peeing, but it almost always gets on the other dog. The other dog doesn't care at all.

Not sure how to stop it, really. Just wanted to chime in with this example. I guess it could help if you took them out for a short walk for potty breaks (vs. letting them loose in the yard). That way you could control who pees where and when a little easier.
LauMeur
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-06-2014, 05:08 AM
Originally Posted by Lindsay&River View Post
I walk two Rottie littermates who are 6 years old. One will pee on the other quite often. He does so while trying to pee over where his brother is peeing, but it almost always gets on the other dog. The other dog doesn't care at all.

Not sure how to stop it, really. Just wanted to chime in with this example. I guess it could help if you took them out for a short walk for potty breaks (vs. letting them loose in the yard). That way you could control who pees where and when a little easier.
Yes, I guess I'll have to deal with it, since Zeus doesn't seem to care. I'm just a little overprotective, I guess