Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
zostar1628
New Member!
Female 

28-02-2014, 04:29 AM

Understanding why my dog has started to wee in the house

Our dog is 12 and very active for his age. He has suddenly started weeing in the house whilst we are in bed but doesnt have a problem when we are out during the day. My husband works lates so he goes out in the garden between 12-2 but then by 4/5 he has already weed on the carpet so is struggling to even last 4 hours. Does anyone have any idea why he might have started to do this? Many thanks
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2014, 08:58 AM
Could be a prostate or bladder problem. Have you seen a vet about this? As my old dog aged... he'd wee in his sleep quite a bit. He'd not do it when he was awake... but quite a bit in his sleep.

This started at about 13 or so... so about the same age as your dog. He was not neutered and vet said it because of his prostate. It wasn't a big deal, but it was a health issue... and not a behavioral one. Not one we could readily fix... BTW. Had to deal with it.

If there is nothing wrong health-wise, perhaps surroundings might be the cause. New neighbors? New couch? New job? Anything new? This can make some dogs nervous enough to go weeing all over.

Even strays lurking about can cause extra marking. Is he marking with wee? Lifting his leg on something, etc. Or is it on his bed or the floor as if he's just had an accident? Have you seen him have an accident? Are you sure he's awake and alert when it's happening?

All questions to ask yourself. I'd have him seen by a vet first... these sudden wee issues are usually health related and can sometimes be cleared up with simple meds. Good luck!
Dibbythedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-02-2014, 09:38 AM
If its sudden he could have a urine infection . Is he drinking more?

Agree with Mjfromga,

best to have a vet check first before you consider this a behaviour problem .
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-02-2014, 09:51 AM
Hello Zoe I agree with the other members. You dog could have one of a number of medical conditions including a urinary tract infection, prostate problem, diabetes and he would not necessarily have any other symptoms.

I would see a vet .
Imana-Banana
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-02-2014, 09:51 AM
Could be developing urinary incontinence in old age. I agree with all of the above, best take him to the vet.
zostar1628
New Member!
Female 

28-02-2014, 10:15 AM
Thanks guys we have just been to the vets. He has antibiotics and i have to catch him for a wee sample. Easier said than done....... fingers crossed it works. Thanks for all of the advice
Imana-Banana
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-02-2014, 10:21 AM
For a pee sample I find it easier to wait until I know she has to go then take her out on a lead and use a frying pan to catch it in..... (I have to get one every three months, my neighbours think I am bonkers when I go out with my frying pan )

Others may have better suggestions

I hope he will be OK xx
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2014, 11:30 AM
Originally Posted by Imana-Banana View Post
For a pee sample I find it easier to wait until I know she has to go then take her out on a lead and use a frying pan to catch it in..... (I have to get one every three months, my neighbours think I am bonkers when I go out with my frying pan )

I hope he will be OK xx
Interesting image but effective indeed; clever idea!
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2014, 11:48 AM
Originally Posted by Imana-Banana View Post

I hope he will be OK xx
Good for you Whatever works,right?
Imagine that'd give a whole different flavour to your sausage,bacon and egg
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2014, 12:01 PM
Eileen - EW!!

I cannot recall how the vet got the urine from my dog (or if he even did) but with the cat... he just goes up under her belly and gently expresses some pee by mashing her bladder slightly and catches it in the little metal pan thingy.

I guess this doesn't work with dogs... but it's very hard to get a cat pee sample because they like pee in the litter box and squat VERY low to the ground and you can't catch it!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >