Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Okie Bon
New Member!
Female 

12-01-2014, 04:27 AM

Need help finding a tiny sized healthy kibble

Hi, I'm new here and so glad to have found this forum! My name is Bonny and I need help finding a tiny sized kibble for my new girl.

A couple of months ago, I adopted a 2 1/2 pound yorkie who's lost several teeth (she's almost . She's been eating Purina Pro Plan Toy Breed, which has a really tiny kibble (just over 1/8" around) that's easy for her to eat. I've given her some time to settle in and adjust to her new home, now I'd love to find a healthier food for her. I've fed my other Yorkies Nature's Variety (Instinct & Praire) for the last few years but their kibble is too large for her. Unfortunately, it seems there aren't many brands of food that have kibble small enough for her.

The two best quality foods for toy breeds that I've been able to find so far seem to be Blue Buffalo Toy Breed and Nutro Ultra Toy Breed, neither of which I've ever used. Is one preferrable over the other? Are there other quality foods that are available in a teensy kibble?

I've considered putting the Nature's Variety in the food processor to chop it up but I'd rather just find her another good food she'll like, if possible. We would appreciate any input to help select a new food for her.
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2014, 08:11 AM
Hi Bonny and welcome to the forum. It is a UK-based forum so, although we have a few US members, you won't get many suggestions, I'm afraid! (apart from the raw feeders of course! ).

However, the manufacturers of the kibble I feed my dogs recommend lightly soaking the feed for 25 minutes before feeding, at which point it is quite soft. Could you not do this for your dog?
Dibbythedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-01-2014, 12:06 AM
I have two tiny dogs and they have a mix of wet and dry food . The kibble I give them is small breed James Wellbeloved which is a good brand but I dont know if its available in the USA.

I think fivedogpams idea of soaking the larger kibble first is a good idea .

Alison
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-01-2014, 06:26 PM
There's a website which seems to be the equivalent of whichdogfood.com but for the US.
http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-fo...o-freedom-dry/

Blue Buffalo grain free small breed received a 4.5 star rating on there. Might be worth having a look around there! I think Orijen kibble is also very small, about 4-5mm
greatbarnet
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-01-2014, 03:45 PM
I don't have small dogs but I would say Orijen is quite small kibble pieces and it's a very high quality food. The price reflects that but you need to feed less because it's good quality high protein. It seems extremely palatable too.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2014, 09:51 PM
Hi and welcome

I feed both my dogs Orijen and it is a very small kibble. Fantastic quality and both my dogs thrive on it. Its made in Canada and is imported in to the UK. It must be cheaper for you in USA as you are a lot nearer Canada than we are
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-01-2014, 10:11 AM
I know Fromm makes a small kibble. Another option could be if you have a food processor, just put in the kibble for a short while so it gets crunched up a bit. Seeing as she is so tiny and probably doesn't eat all that much, smashing it a bit by hand with some sort of kitchen utensil could also make the pieces more manageable.
Bobble
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-02-2014, 09:50 AM
Hi Okie Bon and welcome to this FAB forum! Your Yorkie sounds cute?!

The idea of soaking is a useful one, but dry food helps prevent tartar build up, so that may be why you want ot feed a dry kibble?

Good luck finding the right food for yuor poppet x