Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Imana-Banana
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-01-2014, 11:14 AM

To the Allergy gang...

Anyone else bad this week?

Ima is wagging her little head to the point I am going to have to up her steroids, just spoke to my friend who has her sister and she is the same?!?

Any ideas oh wise ones?
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2014, 12:57 PM
Sorry to hear it, but it's so wet and warm isn't it, which is the ideal breeding ground for just about everything that will cause allergies, I would have thought We need a bout of real hard frosts and some colder weather to zap them all out.

You could try Piritons, and if she's already on them, maybe you can up the dose of those? I was allowed 4 a day on my 50 kg boy with his allergy problems. Of course, upping his steroids would always help, or a trip to the vet for a steroid jab worked too.

Good luck, hopefully, it'll soon end and we'll get the colder weather.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2014, 02:02 PM
My doggy thankfully only has allergies to soybeans and anything soy. Sorry your doggy is having problems, wish I could help!
Imana-Banana
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-01-2014, 02:03 PM
Hi Helena,

It's a pain in the A-SS , poor Ima looks so forlorn with her little waggy head
Unfortunately the only thing that works with her is the steroids and we are given free reign with them by the vet to up or down them as necessary, I just wish we didn't have to
Mattie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-01-2014, 03:21 PM
Originally Posted by Imana-Banana View Post
Anyone else bad this week?

Ima is wagging her little head to the point I am going to have to up her steroids, just spoke to my friend who has her sister and she is the same?!?

Any ideas oh wise ones?
I have missed a lot, can you tell me what is wrong, what she is fed on, what has been given to her to sort this, as much as you can please?

I used to have a dog that was allergic to virtually everything, he was a nightmare until I worked out what he was allergic to, then a nightmare to find a food that he could eat that didn't have in what he was allergic to.
Imana-Banana
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-01-2014, 03:27 PM
Hi Mattie,

I just wondered if anyone else was particularly bad this week as both Ima and her sister are suffering?

I know exactly what she is allergic to and it's all environmental, this has been going on for her entire life, I have an absolutely superb vet and between us we have done everything humanly possible to help her and try and stay off steroids but 3 months ago we had to take the final plunge and put her on them, she is doing so well on them that at her first check up and urine sample he actually asked me if I had run out and stopped giving her them

There is nothing to change only the amount she takes, nothing else makes the blindest bit of difference, but thank you for taking the time to ask it is most appreciated
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2014, 07:08 PM
Hello, and this made my ears prick up!

Jimmi has allergies.........mostly to any animal proteins and grains, with his condition being managed quite well by feeding only fish and potato, with the odd banana or other vegetables.

A few days ago, late at night, he suddenly started frantically scratching at his ear and face and by morning his whole head had swollen like a little football. The vet diagnosed an allergic reaction to a bite or sting (such as a bee or wasp) but was puzzled because of the time of year. Initially I thought that it could have been a wasp, as occasionally I find a dopey one crawling around the house, but I have searched and searched and found nothing. There could have been a bee outside, or maybe a spider took a dislike to him.........it remains a mystery, and although a shot of antihistamine plus another of steroids sorted the swelling and itching out, Jimmi was not very well for a couple of days afterwards.
Imana-Banana
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-01-2014, 02:13 PM
Did you go anywhere with lots of dead leaves etc? Woods or anything like that?
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2014, 06:34 PM
There are dead leaves everywhere in the garden! Other than that - no, we have not been in the woods or down by the river for absolutely ages.