Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2013, 08:52 PM

Scratching!

Alfie keeps scratching, not all the time, but enough for me to notice!

I put a spot on treatment on him to get rid of anything bugging him, but he acted really weird, wouldn't settle, and really wasn't happy! So after maybe only 20-30 mins of it being on him I washed it off and he acted fine again!

This time I used Effipro I think it's called, he has had this once before and been fine with it? But a long while ago I got this same reaction from him from a Bob Martin one!

Any idea what else I can do? x
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2013, 05:38 PM
Jimmi absolutely loathes spot on treatments........he goes into a complete decline for hours, running round the house with his tail down and trying to hide in corners. It might be the smell of them I suppose. He has been on Billy No Mates for a couple of years now, and touch wood, no fleas or ticks.

Have you spotted any flea droppings on Alfie? Even if you cannot find a flea, the droppings will give them away, especially along the "corridor", i.e. from the base of the tail up to the neck. If there are signs, then you will probably have to go through the mill (or Alfie will) of the dreaded spot on treatment in order to deal with them quickly.

Otherwise, if he keeps scratching then a trip to the vet might be in order to determine the cause.

Good luck anyway
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-10-2013, 06:32 PM
Hello Kami how long has Alfie been scratching and have you changed his food /his collar/bedding /anything that may be connected.

Scratching can be allergy related so I would look at the food he eats /any changes to his environment as well as the possibility of pests.

A visit to the vet may help to determine the cause of the scratching .
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2013, 08:20 PM
If the scratching is something fairly new to him in the last 2 months or so it could well be due to Harvest Mites. One of my two dogs is a very sensitive dog ... food allergies and an allergy against the digestive enzyme injected by the harvest mites. Good luck and I hope you can sort your little dog out and relieve his scratching.