Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
nddogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-09-2013, 10:49 AM

I need to get driving!

Hi again people hope some of you remember me!

Anyway I'm about to continue learning to drive again, after losing my confidence when trying to drive with my Dad in the car! I'll say no more!

I would like to hear your stories about learning to drive (good and bad).

Once I've passed my test I will be getting a little wiggly, wet nosed creature quite an incentive to get back in the driving seat. Also it will be wonderful to be able to take the dogs to training classes and walks on the beach etc on my own
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2013, 01:44 PM
I passed my test hundreds of years ago but just wanted to say good luck You won't know yourself once you are totally independent ..... no boundaries as to where you can go.
twix
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-09-2013, 02:02 PM
You won't look back once you're independent.

I passed my test in 1970 and was taught by my Dad, we had several rows along the way, one where I got out at a junction because of something or other and walked home! Having a licence enabled me to have several good jobs involving travelling and it opened up my social life no end. Go for it!
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2013, 02:08 PM
Of course I remember you!

I'm the wrong person to ask about driving, I hate it, hate it, hate it.
I have just decided to give up my driving license, mainly because my disablilty is making it harder for me to drive safely but it is going to be such a relief to know I can no longer legitimately drive

Anyway good luck, I wish you all the best for your test.
nddogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-09-2013, 05:21 PM
Thanks yeah I can't wait
nddogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-09-2013, 05:23 PM
Glad you remember me Nippy
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-09-2013, 06:35 PM
I started learning to drive with my dad first but had to stop cos it stressed me out too much. He can be a very intimidating man and I had a lot of pressure on me as apparently my brother 'learnt it in a day' (obviously I didn't..). I stopped going for drives with him and started taking lessons from a driving instructor and passed my test the first time!
If you can, try and get your driving test early in the morning (before rush hour), that way you avoid manic traffic and your driving tester is not stressed out yet from all the other tests she or he had to sit in with lol.
I recently got my UK licence, I had to exchange mine for it so I could finally get insurance and get driving again. I've started to drive on the left hand side for the first time which is a bit weird but I'm quickly getting into it.

Good luck, just don't let yourself get stressed and I'm sure it'll go well
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2013, 07:17 PM
You will love the independance once you pass - but remember to take it easy until you have lots of experience and confidence.

I was taught by a boyfriend on an old airfield, and then did all the driving when we went out. Eventually I had one official lesson just to sharpen things up, and I passed first time.

Don't let one bad experience put you off - start again afresh and just enjoy it.