Our sister sites
Our sister sites
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2013, 10:12 PM

Spiritual home.

Do you have one?

I was born in Cardiff but moved to England when I was four and consider Wales my spiritual home.... Not Cardiff though, places like the Rhondda where all my dads side of the family live and laugharne where Dylan Thomas had his boat house and writing shed.

Another place is Kerry in Ireland. My ex boyfriend was originally from Eniskillen and although he wouldn't return to Northern Ireland we did go on holiday to Kerry and I fell in love with it instantly and long to go back there.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2013, 10:17 PM
Never been to Cardiff or Wales, but Kerry, that's just a little piece of heaven
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

05-06-2013, 11:03 PM
Born in the Midlands (Coventry) in 71

We moved to the North West (Warrington) in 78

I moved to S Wales (Swansea then the Rhonda) in 90

Back to the North West (Warrington) in 94

Moved to Scotland (Perthshire) in 96 and I'm still here

I guess you could say I'm British LOL

I've 4 kids now that were all born in Scotland to a Scottish mum and Scotland is our home.

My family (Parents, Brother and Sister) all live so far away (Warrington, Midlands and Ireland) and I'd love us all to be closer but these things happen.

If push came to shove and I had to say where I consider 'my home' then it would have to be Warrington.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2013, 11:05 PM
Dublin when I'm there I feel like I've come home
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2013, 05:59 AM
An odd term to use for a place you like most and are happiest in

My home is Kerry and I love it, but "spiritual" is a different matter altogether s as spiritual home has nothing to do with where we live physically.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2013, 07:03 AM
I think it's just a phrase used... Don't suppose I mean spiritual in a faith sense though.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2013, 07:40 AM
Originally Posted by Rosebud77 View Post
An odd term to use for a place you like most and are happiest in

My home is Kerry and I love it, but "spiritual" is a different matter altogether s as spiritual home has nothing to do with where we live physically.
it's somewhere you feel you belong, feel connected to it.Can be somewhere different from where you actually live
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-06-2013, 07:59 AM
hmm tough one. I've lived in so many places and coutries. I really loved Aberystwyth and always feel at peace when I go back there.
The only part in Switzerland where I used to feel at home is the Jura valleys, but I no longer have a home base there. I also lived in Toronto for a bit and thought I'd want to stay there but missed Europe too much. I feel very connected to Bristol now and can imagine being here for a long time, even though it means I never see my family and it's weird to think that if I have kids they'll rarely see their (my) family.
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2013, 01:00 PM
I "get" it, but I also know that holidays and breaks are of great importance and that we so often attach to that element in places like this. I chat with and share with so many tourists and revel in their response to that beauty that is so unlike where they live, Holiday means Holy Day.

But I know fine well that living in such a place is very, very different as many find to their cost. I tell folk that they get the cream and we live on the skim! Holiday are essentially unreal in so many senses.

This connectedness seems false. It is the elements in it that you respond to that can be echoed in many other places and you don't have to deal with everyday stuff that comes if you move.

For me it has always been isolated places of natural beauty. And always it is the local people who are niceness itself when you are on holiday and problems when you live here that destroy that to some extent, more or less

It has taken me 12 years and eight moves o learn all this in Ireland and here the beauty feeds me. But if I were to tell you some of what I have had to cope with!

Love the places for the rest they give for your real life...

Of course as a woman of faith, my spiritual home is Jesus
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2013, 02:38 PM
Definition of 'spiritual home' - generally understood to mean

a place where you feel you belong, although you were not born there, because you have a lot in common with the people, the culture, and the way of life

Nothing to do with religion.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >