Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Shane
Dogsey Senior
Male 

16-04-2013, 08:34 AM

Food Control

By saying the dogs name before I give them anything (when their together) I realised the other dog was learning to ignore the food and wasn't trying to grab it, knowing it was for the dog who's name I said.
So I tried an experiment which went quite well when you consider I never set out to train this.

This video is the first time these dog have done this exercise.
I don't like the idea of dogs competing for food (that could be trouble) but I don't think there is any competition here because the food is controlled by me.
What do you think? could I advance this exercise to a degree where I'm away from the food or could it promote problems between them?
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2013, 09:08 AM
We do the same always have done, This is Mollies and this is Betty's Mollie is really good and Betty is getting there but her enthusiasm and puppiness just beats her sometimes LOL
egroeg
Dogsey Senior
Female 

Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2013, 12:25 PM
A delight to watch that vid with you and your dogs. Lovely. Your dogs are very lucky - you spend so much time working and interacting with them.
Pookin
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-04-2013, 08:42 AM
The Internet won't let me watch videos this morning
It is an interesting thing to think about, I was wandering about it the other day.
I was holding a fatty pan and called them over to lick it, all 4 peacefully licked away and it struck me how odd it was. If I had put the pan on the floor either lurcher Vic or my ancient Pig would have claimed it and had the lot.
They were all polite as can be while holding it though. Hopefully I can watch the video later
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2013, 08:54 AM
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
By saying the dogs name before I give them anything (when their together) I realised the other dog was learning to ignore the food and wasn't trying to grab it, knowing it was for the dog who's name I said.
So I tried an experiment which went quite well when you consider I never set out to train this.

This video is the first time these dog have done this exercise.
I don't like the idea of dogs competing for food (that could be trouble) but I don't think there is any competition here because the food is controlled by me.
What do you think? could I advance this exercise to a degree where I'm away from the food or could it promote problems between them?
Hi It always worries me with animals,because of resource guarding,look at what happened to the Dog Whisperer,that was over food,all you need to do is put the bowls in differant postions,the dogs head away fromthe other one no eye contact,and keep away if possible,if there is a problem,drop a lid make a loud noise.This is what I have to do with my two both bitches.crystalgirl
lablover21
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-04-2013, 01:48 PM
Two happy dogs love the video all having fun.
IceCody
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-04-2013, 02:06 PM
I taught this to my dogs when I had three of them and the two dogs that my brother had.

Than it was cute to line them all up and throw treats at them while calling their name and watch them jump up and catch it. It made a wave like on sport events

Originally I was just thinking about Codyīs allergies. She couldnīt eat everything so I had to have special food and treats for her but I couldnīt ask my brother to change his dogs treats and food.