Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-04-2013, 07:46 PM

Off-lead dogs

Please allow me a quick rant!

As I've detailed on here several times I have a cross staffie/boxer who is dog-reactive.

I've worked relentlessly with him using BAT, LAT, obedience training, bonding etc..

I or my husband take him out twice per day. He gets an offlead but muzzled walk in the morning and late afternoon I invariably walk him on his lead through a series of meadows that is often used by other dogs. I do this because I want him to understand that he lives in a world populated by other dogs.

I often put him on a long lead and do down/stay, sit/stay and let him play with his boomer ball. Three times over the last ten days owners have allowed their dogs to wander up to him - now this isn't a crime in itself but two of the owners know that he is dog reactive.

The first woman came over and decided to have a chat when he was on a long lead, I clipped his short lead on and kept him behind me and kept saying to her "sorry be careful as he isn't muzzled" and bang he pounced on her maltese terrier - it was a "GO AWAY" pounce but she freaked out. What's annoying is she is the dog-walking community's gossip monger - and no doubt took great pleasure in confiding in people that her dog had been "attacked by that ferocious staffie".

Another woman after hearing me calling to her that "he isn't good with dogs" called out to her brown labrador, repeatedly but to absolutely no avail. I was especially worried as brown labradors trigger him like no other breed, but thankfully he was fine with this one.

Today I was walking around the edge of the field and this man came over to tell me that I shouldn't have my dog on a lead and that if he was offlead he wouldn't react. I was trying to distract my one by giving him treats, then Holly the other dog came ambling over to see if she could get one and bang my one went for her.

I alone am responsible for my dog and take my responsibilities very seriously and today I felt really down about the fact that he had reacted 3 times - thankfully they weren't serious reactions and the others dogs weren't in any danger, but nevertheless I felt down about it and then I realised these situations really weren't my fault and these people had put my dog into a difficult situation.

If I know someone has problems with their dogs I stay away I wouldn't amble over for a chat, I certainly wouldn't offer advice to them nor would I allow my dog to wander up to a dog on a lead if he/she had next to none recall!

rant over for now
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

21-04-2013, 07:57 PM
I am sorry you have been put in this position. I know all the dogs round here that are reactive and give them space and if I don't know them I treat their space with respect till I am told they are ok to meet and greet and play.
I have owned two dogs that didn't like their personal space invaded and sympathise with your predicament.
When we walked up the lane today there is a lady who jogs with her Weim Gorden pulled Dillon to the side and she leashed her dog I told her Dillon was bouncy and friendly so they met but she did say if I see a dog on lead I leash mine shame others don't think the same way.
You have nothing to reproach yourself over you are trying to keep your dog and others safe.
Shane
Dogsey Senior
Male 

21-04-2013, 08:00 PM
An amazing amount of people have no reliable recall. A little white dog came up to mine today and the owners couldn't get it back, it completely ignored them.
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-04-2013, 08:04 PM
I think I get really down after an "incident" or a "near miss" because he is "of type" (although not an illegal breed) I think people are just eye-rolling even when it's not really his fault. I live in an area, populated by cocker spaniels and brown labradors, beautiful and lovely dogs but very "precious" owners - need I say more? The majority of people know him and take steps to avoid him and a lot also put their dogs on leads.

Not all dogs get on with other dogs - he doesn't like them, we're not committing any crime but I always feel bad and dread a knock on the door from the police. Daft I know.

Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
I am sorry you have been put in this position. I know all the dogs round here that are reactive and give them space and if I don't know them I treat their space with respect till I am told they are ok to meet and greet and play.
I have owned two dogs that didn't like their personal space invaded and sympathise with your predicament.
When we walked up the lane today there is a lady who jogs with her Weim Gorden pulled Dillon to the side and she leashed her dog I told her Dillon was bouncy and friendly so they met but she did say if I see a dog on lead I leash mine shame others don't think the same way.
You have nothing to reproach yourself over you are trying to keep your dog and others safe.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2013, 08:05 PM
What a bunch of idiots! It's common courtesy that if you see a dog on lead you pop your dog on lead! I always put Remus on lead when I see another dog, whether they are on lead or not, because he has a tendency to charge up to them...but I have noticed recently that he is learning some more gentle manners. I have to admit that Tonks doesn't always go on lead as she won't bother approaching a dog on lead...but I ask her to walk close and she'll walk past not even bothering to acknowledge them... Even if they react to us passing.

As for giving you advice? What were their qualifications to do this and had they conducted a full behavioural assessment as they were passing you? If not..they can butt out!
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2013, 08:06 PM
Originally Posted by Baxter8 View Post
I think I get really down after an "incident" or a "near miss" because he is "of type" (although not an illegal breed) I think people are just eye-rolling even when it's not really his fault. I live in an area, populated by cocker spaniels and brown labradors, beautiful and lovely dogs but very "precious" owners - need I say more?

Not all dogs get on with other dogs - he doesn't like them, we're not committing any crime but I always feel bad and dread a knock on the door from the police. Daft I know.
Not daft at all....completely see where you are coming from there....I feel the same and Tonks is bomb proof. All that matters is the dreaded tape measure.
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-04-2013, 08:08 PM
I guess what is annoying is that a lot of them finding it amusing that their dog ignores them! The woman with the brown labrador says "ever since she's had puppies she's given up listening to me hahahaha". I didn't think it was funny.

Originally Posted by Shane View Post
An amazing amount of people have no reliable recall. A little white dog came up to mine today and the owners couldn't get it back, it completely ignored them.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2013, 08:09 PM
I've had a dog that was more 'reactive' when on the lead but NO WAY would I have let her off!

I think these people just say that because if both dogs are off lead and running amok it's harder to apportion blame to either of them when, if their dog is off leash and not under their strict control, it's pretty obvious the problem is with their dog.

I've said before it seems mainly dogs that take no notice of their owners who are allowed off lead. My theory is that they probably pull like mad too and the owner just can't handle walking them ON a lead. Or doesn't want it to be so obvious they have no control over their dog at all.

The lunatic dog around here that damaged my knee last year is now kept on a lead and it's quite a sight to see the woman with it. She looks as if she is 'water ski-ing' behind it! Leant back at a sharp angle, both hands on the lead, feet digging into the earth to try to get a bit of traction and the dog more or less up on its hind legs pulling away like mad.

Obviously much easier for her to just let it zoom ahead of her and round and round in circles and all over the place terrorising every other dog in its path and some of the other owners too!

Rich really when you think about it - they seem to be saying 'my dog's bad behaviour is due to you keeping your dog under control'! Duh!
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-04-2013, 08:15 PM
The woman with the maltese had hers on a lead but stood far too close even when I was trying to back away!

A lot of the dogs in the meadows know my one too and i can see they just stay away even if off lead. In two out of the three incidents, it was the owners that came up to me with their dogs despite knowing that mine was reactive.

Good for Remus learning good manners. I'm so envious of you having Tonk - what a joy.

Originally Posted by catrinsparkles View Post
What a bunch of idiots! It's common courtesy that if you see a dog on lead you pop your dog on lead! I always put Remus on lead when I see another dog, whether they are on lead or not, because he has a tendency to charge up to them...but I have noticed recently that he is learning some more gentle manners. I have to admit that Tonks doesn't always go on lead as she won't bother approaching a dog on lead...but I ask her to walk close and she'll walk past not even bothering to acknowledge them... Even if they react to us passing.

As for giving you advice? What were their qualifications to do this and had they conducted a full behavioural assessment as they were passing you? If not..they can butt out!
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2013, 08:32 PM
Originally Posted by Baxter8 View Post
The woman with the maltese had hers on a lead but stood far too close even when I was trying to back away!

A lot of the dogs in the meadows know my one too and i can see they just stay away even if off lead. In two out of the three incidents, it was the owners that came up to me with their dogs despite knowing that mine was reactive.

Good for Remus learning good manners. I'm so envious of you having Tonk - what a joy.
Well I was at an advantage really, I had her from a pup...I had her socialization planned to a t and had free expert behaviourial advice on tap and free from my friend .....and still do for Remus for that matter......lucky really because he is being a bit of a ****** .....but in other ways lol!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >