Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kimw30
New Member!
Female 

11-03-2013, 12:44 AM

How to help a dog that is grieving

Hey I have a rat terrier dog that is 4 years old and her name is Prissy and she has been crying and being very whiney. My Dad died February 27th and she was very attached to my dad, she would set in his lap for hours, she really loved him. Now she sets at his chair looking up and cries, she sees his shoes and clothes and she cries, sometimes she will get so upset that she has diarrhea really bad and sometimes she will not eat. Any suggestions on what I can do to help her.
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-03-2013, 12:50 AM
First off I am so very sorry about your father. I hope you are doing okay.

As for Prissy, do you have any other dogs or does she have doggy friends that she loves? Maybe you can set up a play date to get her mind off of the loss of a family member. If that's not an option, does she have a favourite place away from home? I find that getting out and about helps or the company of another dog.

When one of my dogs passed a few years back, my Basset Hound was grieving badly. He would cry all the time, would not eat, was very mopey and his fur greyed in his face. The thing that helped him overcome his sadness was my other dog Timber. Before my dog died, Timber wouldn't play all that much with him but once he felt how sad Hank was, he stepped up to the plate and kept Hank busy.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-03-2013, 10:09 AM
Now she sets at his chair looking up and cries, she sees his shoes and clothes and she cries, sometimes she will get so upset that she has diarrhea really bad and sometimes she will not eat. Any suggestions on what I can do to help her.
Hello Kimberly, I am sorry to hear you lost your Father.

I can tell you what I would do in this situation though it may not be easy for you. I would remove the clothes and shoes and even the chair if possible.
Rather than bring sympathetic I would try to be bright and cheerful and keep Prissy busy with exercise and play as much as possible.

Dogs live in the moment, once Prissy gets into a new way of things she should be ok.
Malpeki
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-03-2013, 10:24 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post

I can tell you what I would do in this situation though it may not be easy for you. I would remove the clothes and shoes and even the chair if possible.
Rather than bring sympathetic I would try to be bright and cheerful and keep Prissy busy with exercise and play as much as possible.

Dogs live in the moment, once Prissy gets into a new way of things she should be ok.
I guess that's the best suggestion at all

just try that, maybe it will work
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2013, 10:29 AM
Awwww poor little mite, and poor you having just lost your dad too.

I think she needs you more than ever now, and just as Mini has said there, I think it might be better to give her lots more attention, lift her spirits up, and try and get rid of as much as possible of those old memories for her. I know it's going to be hard, but it really would be best in the long run imo.

All the best to you both.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2013, 10:39 AM
My condolences to you. Must be very sad for you to see her pining so soon after losing your dad.

Not wishing to sound hard hearted but in your place I would just remove everything belonging to your dad that seems to set her off (yes the chair as well) and I want to say try diverting her and keeping her otherwise occupies but I would quite understand if you didn't feel a bit like doing any of that so soon after losing your dad.

I once had a dog that almost pined to death when I separated from my then husband. He had ignored the dog the whole time we had it and dog never paid him any attention either (knew he didn't like it).

But sat at the gate wearing away all the fur on its snout and gazing up the road - would break your heart to see it.

Unfathomable.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-03-2013, 10:43 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post

Agree with mini, it will be hard for you , but it may help her over her grief if she has no reminders of him, you also need to not pander to her (that not meant to sound harsh) but you need to distract her way from her grief, more walks, keep her active and maybe change her routine , keeping her mind busy so she cant focus on her loss.