Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-08-2005, 05:56 PM

Ear Syringing

Off to see the lovely Brendan today, for a follow up appointment with Polly and Declan (Nee Taylor!!! ) and there is still a lot of wax deeply embedded in their ears. He says that although the infection has cleared up, he intends to syringe their ears later this week (when he can get hold of the "right stuff" to do it ) under sedation.

I have never heard of a dog having this procedure, has anyone had any experience? Any comments?????

Gill
jake
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-08-2005, 09:16 PM
Syringing seems a bit of a harsh step to take (only have experience of humans having it done!) Are there not some drops or something to loosen and soften the wax that can be used instead?
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2005, 07:24 AM
No, been doing that for a few weeks, also using ear cleaner but what is still there is so deep you can't see it without an instrument, I suspect it has been there for some time. Even Brendan can't shift it with his "swab on a stick". It's both ears on Declan (Taylor) just one ear on Polly but it is in relation to her dust mite allergy so it is a long term problem. Obviously I keep their outer ears clean routinely but if it doesn't work it's way up, I don't see it
I am assuming that syringing will do the trick and prevent possible hearing problems later......

Gill
Sweep
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2005, 08:04 AM
My boy Sweep had to have his ears flushed out recently as nothing would clear the infection he had, this was done under GA - touch wood, he has been ok so far since
Louie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2005, 08:55 AM
Don,t know if they use a similiar procedure when removing grass seeds, but my Emma has a perforated ear drum due to having a grass seed removed three years ago. She has problems with this ear now, i have to be so careful when cleaning it and she is now prone to infection in this ear
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2005, 07:13 PM
The two woozy patients are back now and settled after their ordeal.
I called in at 6pm and Declan was sitting up in the kennel, looking at me a bit unfocussed, but after an experimental growl realised it was me and moved his tail slightly. Then without warning - he was peeing, still sitting down! A long arc of the yellow stuff was neatly directed between his front legs, through the kennel bars and onto the floor where it gathered in a growing pool by my feet. The vet was astonished. I was gobsmacked and wished I had my camera with me - the video one! Declan took no notice and eventually we released him, then once outside he decided to squat - he is still too young to lift his leg - five minutes later he was still at it and drawing a crowd of disbelieving spectators. "Will I bring you a magazine Declan?" I called out, to the great amusement of the assembled watchers. One very empty Declan then climbed thankfully into the car.
Polly was a different matter and was clearly still on another planet. Unwilling to get up from a prone position, her eyes flickered wildly from side to side, something I had never seen before. The vet said, maybe leave her for an hour, come back at 7 when we close and pick her up then. I departed as she started howling like a banshee, poor baby.
7 o'clock arrived and I was back. Polly's eyes were more normal including the glint of "I'll-get-you-for-this" that signifies some kind of revenge in the not too distant future. The vets were having a cuppa and Brendan put the kettle on and I sat chatting with them, drinking tea and munching biscuits while Polly plotted under the table. Not even a Biscrock knocked her mind off course. Suddenly, she got up, crouched, and amid shrieks of "oh no, get her out" she left a steaming present on the floor. I whisked her out and she finished the job on the grass, or so I thought. Snatching up the post operation sheet of instructions I grabbed by handbag and took my leave, rapidly.
Halfway home, and an aroma hit the air. Sure enough, Polly had left another steaming pile in the back of the car and I could swear she was smiling, if I hadn't been busy swearing at HER.
I now realise I didn't pay the bill so I will have to go back tomorrow. I imagine it will suddenly have gone up

Their ears, however, are absolutely sparkling. Perhaps they will listen to me properly now

Gill
scotbun1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2005, 07:42 PM
Bandit (sbt) had really dirty ears and the vet cleaned them he was enjoying it so much that Donald (the vet) asked if he could syringe his ears. And he did without sedation and Bandit was fine. Donald got on the phone to his vet friend to sayhe managed to syringe a dogs ear without sedation but he took more pleasure in telling them he was a staffie
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2005, 07:50 PM
but he took more pleasure in telling them he was a staffie
I bet he did!!!!!

Well done Bandit for being such a GOOD BOY!

Gill