Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ClydeSpaniel
New Member!
Male 

25-01-2013, 12:53 AM

Neutering a 13(?) year old dog

Hi all,
We took in a beautiful abandoned springer spaniel named Clyde a few weeks ago. We don't know much about him, but previous owner, before he left Clyde in the dust, says he's 13. Clyde recently went to the vet and got all up to date on his shots. Vet doesn't believe he's 13... Although he is showing some signs of age, slow to get up... but other than that this dog runs and plays fetch like there's no tomorrow.
He's been great until recently, he stopped pooping.
We took him to the vet and he said that he has an enlarged prostate and needs to be neutered.

I've been reading online and I see opinions from BOTH sides, neutering an old dog is OK, neutering an old dog is a NO...
Clyde is healthy as far as we can tell...

I was just trying to get an another couple opinions. I was thinking maybe he should have blood work done first to see if he can handle the anesthesia?
I'm just worried in general. Right now he pees in short bursts all over, and hasn't pooped as far as we can tell in 3 days...

The area around his rectum is red/irritated as well.

The surgery at this age worries me, and I'd rather not neuter him, but if this is the only cure for enlarged prostate, I guess we have no choice.

We live in the boonies and this is the only vet there is. He has been known to take everyones $$$$ and I'm not sure if this will solve the problem and needs to be done or he's just trying to rob us.

What do you guys think?

THank you in advance!
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2013, 06:47 AM
Originally Posted by ClydeSpaniel View Post
Hi all,
We took in a beautiful abandoned springer spaniel named Clyde a few weeks ago. We don't know much about him, but previous owner, before he left Clyde in the dust, says he's 13. Clyde recently went to the vet and got all up to date on his shots. Vet doesn't believe he's 13... Although he is showing some signs of age, slow to get up... but other than that this dog runs and plays fetch like there's no tomorrow.
He's been great until recently, he stopped pooping.
We took him to the vet and he said that he has an enlarged prostate and needs to be neutered.

I've been reading online and I see opinions from BOTH sides, neutering an old dog is OK, neutering an old dog is a NO...
Clyde is healthy as far as we can tell...

I was just trying to get an another couple opinions. I was thinking maybe he should have blood work done first to see if he can handle the anesthesia?
I'm just worried in general. Right now he pees in short bursts all over, and hasn't pooped as far as we can tell in 3 days...

The area around his rectum is red/irritated as well.

The surgery at this age worries me, and I'd rather not neuter him, but if this is the only cure for enlarged prostate, I guess we have no choice.

We live in the boonies and this is the only vet there is. He has been known to take everyones $$$$ and I'm not sure if this will solve the problem and needs to be done or he's just trying to rob us.

What do you guys think?

THank you in advance!
My take on this; this is not about neutering but about needful surgery. Which just happens to involve neutering. Better ask google re prostate surgery in older dogs than focus on a red herring

The dog is in pain. Period; that is the issue here
Nikki
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-01-2013, 07:37 AM
I had my old dog neutered at about 11 because he had a tumour on his testicle , and he coped well and made it to 18.

I would say the neutering was needed in your case especially if he's in pain.

Good luck in what ever you choose.
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2013, 08:06 AM
A friend had her collie castrated at age 10 for the same reason and he is fine (now 12). The vet even offered to keep some sperm from him in case she wanted to breed from him again!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-01-2013, 09:10 AM
Hello Vincent, welcome .
If your dog has an enlarged prostate which is causing him to retaining faeces and urine it is only a matter of time before this will result in serious medical problems as well as great discomfort and pain to your dog.
I wouldn't have though this was a situation where you had any choice other than to operate ASAP.

The fact that he still plays isn't really an indication of how he is feeling, hormones released during play can mask pain.

You could ask your vet if there is another option like medication but it sounds from the symptoms as though the condition is too advance to wait for medication to have an effect.

I know a number of people who have had this operation on an elderly dog and the dog was fine afterwards. That said any general anaesthetic carries a risk be it only a small one.

I hope all goes well for you and your dog
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2013, 11:06 AM
personally i wouldnt bother. at 13 he's old and has obviously lived perfectly fine for the last 13 years with his bits.

i wouldnt want to put an older dog through the stress of anesthetic, and to be honest with him being an oldie id just enjoy how long you have him for, and wouldnt want to risk anesthetic maybe shortening that time.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2013, 11:30 AM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
personally i wouldnt bother. at 13 he's old and has obviously lived perfectly fine for the last 13 years with his bits.

i wouldnt want to put an older dog through the stress of anesthetic, and to be honest with him being an oldie id just enjoy how long you have him for, and wouldnt want to risk anesthetic maybe shortening that time.
I'm sorry but I feel this is poor advice. If your dog just had an enlarged prostate but no problems with it then possibly leave a while and wait and see.

BUT your dog is in pain and I as well as many others will advise that the surgery is essential in your dogs case, even more so as you say he has stopped pooing and clearly having trouble weeing. You say he also has a red and irritated anus You mention that other than this problem he is fit and healthy so my advice is go ahead with the op asap.

One of my friends has a border collie who had to be castrated aged 12 and he had no problems and made a full recovery. He is now 15 and still leads a very good quality of life albeit slow as he's an old boy.
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2013, 12:01 PM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post

Picking jaw off ground at this... This is not about neutering in the normal sense; the dog is in pain and retaining faeces and urine which will as others have said cause major problems sooner rather than later. REALLY!
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2013, 12:19 PM
Originally Posted by jenny.g View Post
I'm sorry but I feel this is poor advice. If your dog just had an enlarged prostate but no problems with it then possibly leave a while and wait and see.

BUT your dog is in pain and I as well as many others will advise that the surgery is essential in your dogs case, even more so as you say he has stopped pooing and clearly having trouble weeing. You say he also has a red and irritated anus You mention that other than this problem he is fit and healthy so my advice is go ahead with the op asap.

One of my friends has a border collie who had to be castrated aged 12 and he had no problems and made a full recovery. He is now 15 and still leads a very good quality of life albeit slow as he's an old boy.
Sorry didn't realise the part about the large prostate. Only read quickly as I was heading out. If that is the issue then I would have him neutered.
Jen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2013, 12:25 PM
I knew a dog that got neutered at 16 years old because of an enlarged prostate. He lived to 18 and a half years.

Personally I would do it. I have seen many older dogs get neutered as I work with an oldies rescue and we neuter where we can. All get bloods before going under to check they are ok and any we doubt will make it through i.e they have a heart problem we won't put them through it, although that has only been one case since I've worked there.

If your dog is as active and fit as he seems to be I would do it as by the sounds of things his prostate is really bad, he will be suffering a lot with it even if he isn't making that pain obvious.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >