View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
catsta2001
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-09-2012, 09:26 AM

Did your dogs change when a puppy was introduced?

From puppies up until now (5yrs old) Hector has always been very boisterous and wants to play with toys. Whereas Jojo is happy on a sofa being a lady of leisure. Never wanted to play, she just wasn't interested.

Before Hugo came along, my concern was that Hector would be fine as he'd have a play mate but Jo can be a little grumpy and would not take to him at all.

How wrong I was.....JoJo is suddenly like a puppy again. Zooming around, playing with toys, she loves Hugo. Where one is the other is there. Hector however, he will tolerate Hugo but won't play with him. They are his toys and he's not sharing.

It's early days, only been 2 weeks but I do hope Hector learns to accept him..... I make sure Hec has plenty of love and doesn't feel left out. I guess he is just not used to sharing.
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

30-09-2012, 10:25 AM
It was a similar situation here.

Skye and Fingal were together for years during which time Fingal was always the playful one.

When Breagh came along it was Skye that took the lead playing with her.
Bodhi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2012, 10:28 AM
Well, we've recently added a puppy, and Bodhi is 7. She hasn't changed, but does sulk more!!! She thinks he's annoying and wishes he'd leave. But she still plays with her toys etc, just ignores him as much as she can!!!!
jantet
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-09-2012, 11:00 AM
I knew when I introduced Pepe that Witty the terrier would be delighted with him straightaway, but expected that Bogie the spaniel, who does not approve of puppies, would merely tolerate him. However, Pepe totally ignored Bogie's orders to go away and kept hitting him with his paw until Bogie gave in, and they now play almost non stop.