Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2012, 05:38 AM

Good morning, Dogsey folk - Monday!

Morning all,

Cooler today and I for one am very grateful. Yesterday was vile – with apologies to all you sun worshippers.

Back to work today but at least I’m only in the office for a week.

Next week I am on holiday, returning on the 10th September, but still doing some Olympic work from Wednesday onwards when the Paralympics starts. I’m having lots of work done in the house, so I appreciate the overtime.

Today’s gem:
You may be prettier, skinnier and more tanned than me, but I out-boob you on every level.
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2012, 05:49 AM
Morning Vicki and all

Lucky you, only a week and then holiday! I hated the heat yesterday I was dripping, I came home from work and sat under a fan.

Work again today but hopefully it will be quiet and I can catch up with some work, it's an uphill struggle when you have constant interruptions. I am hoping to get Pip to training tonight so it's going to be very busy day today!

Have a good day all.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2012, 06:16 AM
Morning Vicki, Gerry and everyone

Hope the week goes quickly for you Vicki, and hope today is quiet for you Gerry. I agree about this heat, it was 32 on Saturday, but don't know what it was yesterday, but I really hate it over 30, it zaps me. We've been down on the beach since Saturday so Zena seems to be enjoying all this heat and she isn't suffering indoors at all unlike us.

I've got a very busy week, lots of deliveries, big ones, kitchen worktops etc. so I'm pretty much housebound which I don't like. Dave is tackling the final bit of the laminate tiles in the kitchen, so I'd better make meself scarce, the air will be blue I'm sure around that doorway!

I've been painting out the front and what a difference I've made out there, even Dave is well impressed. The ballistrades on this balcony were a mess, so I scraped them right back, filled the bottom ledge where I had to scrape loads away, and finally painted them white and now they look like they should. I painted the top metal rail black (it was white) and that will now match the new gates which I was hoping will be fitted this week, but haven't heard from him yet. Tomorrow my young mannnn is coming back to rip out the big flower bed at the bottom of the steps and plant some of my potted acers in there, and dig a big hole on the lawn for an acer tree. My gleditsia tree arrived saturday, so that'll be going into the ground too. Poor chap, he's gonna be busy, I shall wear him out but I hope it's cooled down a bit by tomorrow.

Enjoy yours whatever you're up to
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2012, 06:49 AM
Good morning all.

Why oh why can't we ever have the happy medium where the weather is concerned? Mind you, yesterday wasn't as bad as the day before because at least the humidity level had dropped. It's the humidity I can't stand.

Rosie isn't a girl for heat either. This past week she's found it very hard to settle during the day. In the past, my dogs have always made for the fan when it's been like it is now, but Rosie doesn't like the draft from it so keeps out of the stream of cool air. Can't win, poor little mite.

Couple of days ago, I gave up hopes of her coat ever getting to the stage of stripping so the clippers came out and she not only looks better, but must a little cooler with her hair cut back. I figured that if her coat hadn't got to stripping stage by 11 months, it was never going to. Bless her, after a few nerves at the start, she stood there brilliantly while I clippered, cut and brushed and she looks so much better for it.

McD's today if we can get in. Rosie has a special friend there - one of the cleaners. She's getting quite famous in McD's as the other staff and customers all laugh at her antics when being fussed by her 'special lady' . She absolutely squeals with delight when she appears and sits with her eyes glued to the door until she does.

There are some real 'odd bods' about just now. Yesterday, a guy brought about 20 full loaves of sliced bread and was throwing full slices into the lake for the ducks and geese. Now the ducks and geese here are pretty picky and won't touch full slices of bread even though they will happily mop up bread that has been broken up for them so I guess someone will be busy soon netting out all of the full slices that will inevitably end up in the nooks and crannies around the edges.

Last year the lake was full on babies, but this year hardly any so my guess is that the eggs were taken away before they hatched. At least it's a better way of reducing numbers (which were getting OTT) without killing live birds, but still something I don't like to think too much about.

Town is still full to bursting. We've been here six years now and it's been the busiest main season we've seen since we've been here (and that includes the years of having statics here too before we moved). This week is worse for us because the bowling green area that is usually a quiet piece of heaven amongst the madness, is hosting the annual National Bowls Competition all week so it's packed to the rafters in that area too.

The good thing about the crowds is that they've helped with Rosie's training on meet and greets. She calmly walks past people and dogs now (well, dogs that don't scare the bejeebers out of her by lunging and barking) without expecting to go say hello to them all. For every negative, there's always a positive in there somewhere if you look hard enough for it

Anyways, onwards and upwards. I've rambled on enough this morning.

Have a good 'un all.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

20-08-2012, 06:56 AM
Morning Vicki morning all.

I hope this week flies by Vicki. Keep remembering only a week then you get a well deserved break.

Gerri I hope you have a better day today too.
Helena it is all sounding lovely we need pictures soon please.

Well today is the last day for Gorden to get his pocket book finished and then maybe we can have at least one day out.
Dillon and I are back from our walk it is already muggy feelng here.
I agree Saturday and yesterday were a little too warm. Yesterday in particular it was that awful humid heat even rain and a storm didn't clear the air it seemed to make it hotter.

Love the gem today. Have a good day all.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2012, 07:20 AM
Morning Vicki and all,
I am back to work today unfortunatly. I could get used to having this time off. Roll on Novemeber when I have 2 weeks off although the dogs will probably be in kennels for those two weeks as it falls during the worst of the fireworks.
The sun went in for a little while yeserday afternoon so we went on the greyhound walk, they kept it to within the woods and it was lovely. We all sat and had a picnic afterwards and the greyhounds enjoyed watching the cheeky squirrels. .
Hope this week flies by for you Vicki,
Lynn we had no rain or storms here yesterday but my son in maldon said there was a brief shower and he heard a rumble of thunder in the distance and someone else told me some parts of colchester got a heavy downpour.
H, would love to see some piccies soon.
Gerri I agree there is no happy medium with our weather this year.
Have a good day all and take care.