Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2005, 10:00 AM

Connections to Broadband.

Could anyone help me and tell me what they use to connect to Broadband because we cannot connect for some reason. We know there is nothing wrong with the software or modem because we got it working on my laptop last night but I had to sit right next to the box where the phone plugs in for it to work. The main computer that we are trying to make the connection to is a few feet away from the box where the phone plugs in and unfortunately we can't move it any nearer because the phone box is next to the window and we can't put the computer there because it would be in front of the window and blocking the tv. Surely we should be able to have the computer a few feet away from the connection box and still be able to run broadband.

Dial up works fine this way so why not broadband

Can anyone suggest anything we could buy that would make broadband reach our computer because we were struggling all last night to make it work but to no avail
Hoggett
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-08-2005, 10:13 AM
How many phones have you got connected up? I am wondering if you have exceeded the max, this may cause you problems. I have my computer about 15 feet away from my BT outlet. Are you using a good quality lead?

Another thing you can do is contact BT and ask them to turn the 'Gain' up on your line - make the signal stronger, mind you I don't know if works with broadband.

I hope this helps you out Foxy, you seem to be having big problems, BTW is the broadband connection going through one of the filter boxes, it is supposed too.

Ian
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2005, 10:45 AM
Originally Posted by Hoggett
How many phones have you got connected up? I am wondering if you have exceeded the max, this may cause you problems. I have my computer about 15 feet away from my BT outlet. Are you using a good quality lead?

Another thing you can do is contact BT and ask them to turn the 'Gain' up on your line - make the signal stronger, mind you I don't know if works with broadband.

I hope this helps you out Foxy, you seem to be having big problems, BTW is the broadband connection going through one of the filter boxes, it is supposed too.

Ian
Hi Ian, and thanks for replying

No we only have the connection box with one of those things plugged in that allows you to put up to three connections into it. We only have two things connected though, the internet connection and one phone. I'm not sure if the lead is good quality or not. We will get a new one and see if it works then. Can you advise me of a good quality one that I could buy?

Yes and we connected the filter as well to the phone line so it can't be this.
We have run out of ideas what it might be and we can't stay with dial up now because we have subscribed to broadband for 12 months minimum and they will cut dial up off within the next two weeks, so I hope we can get it sorted for then.
Hoggett
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-08-2005, 03:59 PM
The way that I have mine is as follows -

BT box on wall --->2 way adaptor --->extension (short one)--->1 filter then phone.
¦
¦--->extension (long one) ---> filter---> phone and broadband

I hope this makes sense, try and put yours like that and disconnect any other phones in the house, becaus if you have any coupled up without a filter it won't work.

Keep me posted.

Ian
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-08-2005, 04:27 PM
Since you can connet to bb with the laptop close to the connection it is down to the length of your extension cable we had the same problem.

The way i see your connection is like this
then connected to it the filter then to the pc When ours was like the above we could not connect even taking all the other extensions out.

My OH did away with the extension cable in away he wired directly in to the main phone box where it comes in to the house when he did that we connected up no with problems it seems funny that you take away the plugs on the extension and you'll be able to connect up.

So if you can do it like this then you shouldn't have any problems

then with no plugs on either end then then the filter connects directly in to the wall socket then connect to your pc