View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2012, 10:43 PM

Which insurance company? It's a minefield!

I am struggling to decide who to insure the dogs with... every time I 'decide' I change my mind!

Jake is currently with More Than, and Arrow has 4 weeks free with PetPlan which is about to run out! So, I need to decide sharpish...

I am pleased with More Than, but I have had quotes from other places who offer a multi-dog discount, but More Than don't. They also have £70 excess, and you need to pay 10% of the final bill as well... which is putting me off a bit, especially having the two of them now.

I have been looking at Tesco, who have a good price for both dogs together, and the cover is good. I would get the extra cover with £7,500. Anyone have any good or bad experiences with them?

Who are you dogs with, and have you had any particularly good or bad experiences with any other insurance companies?

Thanks
tokiayla
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2012, 07:35 AM
I have only ever used Petplan and always will. Top cover. It is sooooo expensive though - I pay £60 a month for one dog . But they have always been excellent and paid out so quickly. I have needed them with Stone & lifetime meds are covered for him now - he has cost FAR more than I have paid out in premiums. I needed them big time with my last GSD too. I suppose it seems like a hideous amount to pay, but I've had Stone for 4 years and he has cost approx £6,000 in bills so far - way more than I have paid. I'd rather be safe than sorry now.
Not very helpful am
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2012, 08:03 AM
Originally Posted by tokiayla View Post
I have only ever used Petplan and always will. Top cover. It is sooooo expensive though - I pay £60 a month for one dog . But they have always been excellent and paid out so quickly. I have needed them with Stone & lifetime meds are covered for him now - he has cost FAR more than I have paid out in premiums. I needed them big time with my last GSD too. I suppose it seems like a hideous amount to pay, but I've had Stone for 4 years and he has cost approx £6,000 in bills so far - way more than I have paid. I'd rather be safe than sorry now.
Not very helpful am

I got a quote from them for Arrow, and I can get both dogs insured with Tesco for the same amount... So, it puts me off a bit
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-06-2012, 09:05 AM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
I am struggling to decide who to insure the dogs with... every time I 'decide' I change my mind!

Jake is currently with More Than, and Arrow has 4 weeks free with PetPlan which is about to run out! So, I need to decide sharpish...

I am pleased with More Than, but I have had quotes from other places who offer a multi-dog discount, but More Than don't. They also have £70 excess, and you need to pay 10% of the final bill as well... which is putting me off a bit, especially having the two of them now.

I have been looking at Tesco, who have a good price for both dogs together, and the cover is good. I would get the extra cover with £7,500. Anyone have any good or bad experiences with them?

Who are you dogs with, and have you had any particularly good or bad experiences with any other insurance companies?

Thanks

i`m with Tesco, and am more than happy with then.

I changed years ago when Bandit reached the age of 8 , as his then insurance company hiked the price up.

it was not long after going with Tesco , that he developed the tumour behind his eye, the cost amounted to around £4000 , which Tesco paid out within weeks.

Have made a few claims since and have never had a problem.

They have an excess (as all do) and the premiums rise each yr (as they all do) , but on the whole I am very satisfied with the service.
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2012, 09:08 AM
I'm with healthy pets for 2 staffys on top premium(gold) it's £29 their policies are all lifetime ones, not had to claim yet though but pups only 7months and 5 months
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2012, 11:41 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
i`m with Tesco, and am more than happy with then.

I changed years ago when Bandit reached the age of 8 , as his then insurance company hiked the price up.

it was not long after going with Tesco , that he developed the tumour behind his eye, the cost amounted to around £4000 , which Tesco paid out within weeks.

Have made a few claims since and have never had a problem.

They have an excess (as all do) and the premiums rise each yr (as they all do) , but on the whole I am very satisfied with the service.
Thank you I am glad to hear positive things about them (although, most things I have read have been positive which is good ) and that you haven't had any problems with claiming. I also like that you can choose either £60 or £120 for the excess.

Originally Posted by zoeyvonne View Post
I'm with healthy pets for 2 staffys on top premium(gold) it's £29 their policies are all lifetime ones, not had to claim yet though but pups only 7months and 5 months
I did look at them, but decided against them... I can't remember why though I have looked at so many!
Suzanne2
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-06-2012, 08:57 PM
My cousin has nothing but praise for Greenbee lifetime insurance, they paid out zillions for her dog, she would have lost him without them. And they didn"t put the premium up the following year. When we got our rescue dog, I wanted to insure with them, but they don't insure older dogs, but her experience made me realise how important 'for life' cover is, so I went with Petplan.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2012, 09:04 PM
Petplan for me, used two others, one with a bad experience, I like the fact that vets will bill them direct so saving you to cough up money you may not be able to afford.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-06-2012, 06:46 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Petplan for me, used two others, one with a bad experience, I like the fact that vets will bill them direct so saving you to cough up money you may not be able to afford.
Is`nt that down to the individual vets though,?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2012, 06:59 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Is`nt that down to the individual vets though,?
Yep but none of my vets have had a problem with this.

So, I reckon for some people, it might be an option to check with their vet first to see if they will do this before taking out insurance and if so, which companies they are confident with.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >