Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pindonkey
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-05-2012, 05:30 PM

Training games?

Does anybody have any training games i could play with Oscar?
I am also looking for ways to really make my training fun.
I have been holding back on training for the past 4 weeks,only working on recall(which i have actually had to retrain and still in the process of doing it) focus work,loose leash walking and building drive.
But not always everyday,because he had gotten so fed up of training,he didn't even see treats as treats anymore because he got them so often.

So about a week ago i returned to using clicker training,because i have to make the most out of the time i spend with him now because i have other things going on that can't be ignored(my parents now walk him for me)
And using the clicker allows me to reward at random times easier.He also learns faster.

Anyway,i was looking for training games to play with him,it doesn't matter what they are for really and any other ideas to make training funner.

I probably wont be training every day,well if i have time i will but more so agility contacts(which i am using games for) and the recall and focus stuff.

Any ideas??
Thanks!!

I am also going to get a tug e nuff treat pouch to help with play drive.I have a whole training schedule worked out and i have some ideas of how to use it to make out walks in the woods and fields interactive. I was wondering if anybody has used one,what do you think?
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2012, 06:34 PM
I don't know what sort of things you are after but some fun things:

- Teaching openeing drawers, closing them.
- Finding a toy in a room, or hidden in one of 3 boxes
- Jumping over random objects like a broom, your legs, through your arms

Otherwise shaping behaviors might be fun for him.

Put a washing up/mixing bowl in front of him. Wait for a behavior and click for what you want.
Then try to get him to continue to repeat the behaviors. Clicker trained dogs just want to make you click so will offer a variety of behaviors

- You could train him to touch a target stick and start some dance moves like spin, weave through your legs, dance, beg etc.

Hope this is the sort of thing you're after?!
Pindonkey
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-05-2012, 07:27 PM
Originally Posted by WhichPets View Post
I don't know what sort of things you are after but some fun things:

- Teaching openeing drawers, closing them.
- Finding a toy in a room, or hidden in one of 3 boxes
- Jumping over random objects like a broom, your legs, through your arms

Otherwise shaping behaviors might be fun for him.

Put a washing up/mixing bowl in front of him. Wait for a behavior and click for what you want.
Then try to get him to continue to repeat the behaviors. Clicker trained dogs just want to make you click so will offer a variety of behaviors

- You could train him to touch a target stick and start some dance moves like spin, weave through your legs, dance, beg etc.

Hope this is the sort of thing you're after?!

It is kind of I was thinking more along the lines of game games,like go wild and freeze(but thats the only one i know)
I never thought of free shaping,will give that a go!!
He already knows spin,weave legs,dance(stand tall) and beg. Along with play dead and roll over and close the door and jump through my arms(hoop). he also jumps over my legs when asked and will crawl under things too!
Thanks anyway.
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2012, 07:34 PM
Ah ok

Yeh well free shaping is fun. You can do it with all sorts of objects; chairs, bowls, boxes/suitcases (they can jump in them!), skate boards etc.

Find it games can be fun

Other tricks could be opening drawers, fetching an item and closing it again. Tidying toys away. Paw/nose targets.

Not sure I have any other games !
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2012, 07:01 AM
Scent games provide hours of amusement.
And they can be combined with other actions .
My dogs Stay while I go and hide the ball.
Then they Seek it, sometimes separately, sometimes together.
Sometimes I hide more than one item so they get sent in to Find it again.
They could happily play this one for hours.
tiggers mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-05-2012, 11:56 AM
We play hide and seek with items with our BC, she loves it. My daughter is trying to teach her to play dead and roll over but unsuccessful at the moment....any tips??
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2012, 12:08 PM
Originally Posted by tiggers mum View Post
We play hide and seek with items with our BC, she loves it. My daughter is trying to teach her to play dead and roll over but unsuccessful at the moment....any tips??
Personally;
I lure the dog in to a lie (don't ask otherwise you always ask for a lie before a rollover/play dead)
Then pop the food infront of the dogs nose, and lure their head over the shoulder.
Reward for the dog following the food a short distance.
Gradually as the dog gets better at following the food, increase the amount they turn their head until they begin to roll.
Massive rewards for rolling over.
Begin to add a hand signal and word to the action as the dog gets more comfortable.
Eventually stop luring in to the lie first and ask for the comand from a standing position.

I would only teach one at a time or the dog will get confused.
Play dead is taught the same way, but the dog should stop when it's on its side/back.

I would teach these on a carpet as it's more comfortable!

Good luck
Pindonkey
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-05-2012, 12:13 PM
Originally Posted by tiggers mum View Post

Thats what i plan to do with the tug e nuff in the woods,play go find! Well thats part of what i hope to do

I found teaching oscar to lie on one hip made training play dead easier. Sometimes they dont like to give their belly but with the lie on one hip they get used to exposing some of it and then take to lying on their side very easily. When it came to that stage i just gently pushed oscar onto his side while rubbing his belly and clicked and treated as soon as he did. Now he does it no problem. You can lure them with a treat either.
For roll over i used the lie on one hip thing again except this time i lured and pushed him over,and after 4 goes he was rolling over in a second. He loves it,he just drops to the floor and rolls!
Or you could reward her anytime she lies on her back and work your way from there.
Oscar would never follow the lure all the way so i had to give him a little help. I actually found that luring with a tug toy worked well for him too.
Make sure the surface is soft though,oscar will only roll over on carpet or grass,but he is trying to do it on the patio and the stones now.
Good luck !