Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2012, 12:25 PM

Bolshy boys

I have recently started to notice that there is a little bit of friction between my two male GSDs. Through observation, I would say that it is, in the main, down to excitement (they are at their worst when getting out for a walk) and also possession over toys etc.

As Zak matures, I think I will definitely have to keep a close eye on them, so it doesn't get out of hand - as the last thing I want is my two boys having a big scrap

Has anyone else had this problem (with dogs or bitches) and how did you cure it, or did you just manage it?

Just for info - Yogi is a 4 year old neutered male and Zak is a 13 month old unneutered male.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2012, 12:32 PM
You see, what you need is a GSD bitch in there to keep the pair of them under her thumb.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2012, 12:40 PM
Opposite to C&D....I have a male

We did have this for a short time between Skye and Tess as we were going out the front door..........Skye starting it but Tess retaliating

We balanced it by taking Skye and Bruce out together and Tess after, or visa versa ...Tess with Bruce and then Skye, it has balanced out lovely.
I decided that Skye was using her 'I was here first' with Tess, once I took that away from her, its stopped and we can now even take them out through the front door together now with a spat

PS all ours are neutered just for the record
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2012, 12:47 PM
My dogs are 5 and 6, both neutered but I have noticed in recent months there does seem to be some tension. I'll often catch them in the garden staring at each other, with Flynn being quite tense, I dont think he can work out Jed's intentions sometimes (he has a habit of staring into space, sometimes in Flynn's direction). Then when they play it always seems to be based on Jed trying to 'get one over' on Flynn (trying to hump him, biting a bit too hard etc) which then results in Flynn getting angry and having a go back. Jed normally backs down straight away but there has been occasions when he hasnt and i've had to shout at them because an altercation starts. Now, I dont let it get that far and break up any play where Jed starts to get a bit OTT.

The trouble with my 2 is Jed is quite a cocky dog who can be too self assured in some ways (for example he wont move out of a humans way like the other 2 will, he'll stand his ground so that the humans walk round him - I dont I simply make him move by pushing him with my leg) and if he thinks he can take advantage of a situation or a weakness, he will do (this is why I dont trust him with humans, especially kids).
Flynn is a dog who feels threatened very easily and doesnt have much self confidence but is your typical bully, he will remove toys from the other dogs, move them off beds etc and always gets his own way. I suppose he's top dog most of the time and I think sometimes Jed challenges this a little but doesnt quite have the balls to make a proper stand!

I dont have a problem with any of them but I have definitely noticed a slight tension developing lately, just a bit of posturing, eyeballing etc.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2012, 12:49 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
You see, what you need is a GSD bitch in there to keep the pair of them under her thumb.
Thats why I decided to have a bitch as a third dog! I thought another male might be a bit too much and a bitch would keep things in check and I have to say she will tell them off if they overstep the mark.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2012, 01:11 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Haha the problem is that I do! I have Flame but she is over ten years now and can't be bothered with these two young upstarts
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2012, 01:18 PM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
Opposite to C&D....I have a male

We did have this for a short time between Skye and Tess as we were going out the front door..........Skye starting it but Tess retaliating

We balanced it by taking Skye and Bruce out together and Tess after, or visa versa ...Tess with Bruce and then Skye, it has balanced out lovely.
I decided that Skye was using her 'I was here first' with Tess, once I took that away from her, its stopped and we can now even take them out through the front door together now with a spat

PS all ours are neutered just for the record
Sounds like a similar situation here Steph. I do think there are undercurrents of jealousy from Yogi and him wanting to put Zak in his place a bit. I have tried exercising them separately - and do take them out on their own for training etc. However, I have noticed that when Zak and I have been out for a walk on our own, or for training, Yogi grumbles at him when we come back for a good few mins on and off if Zak goes near him.

I have found that they do get on better when I have the pair of them out together on their own, without the oldies, Flame and Rip, but I just have to make sure they both have a ball in their respective mouths, or else leash one or both of them until the initial clamour of going out has subsided.

Glad you managed to sort your girls out.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2012, 01:28 PM
Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post
My dogs are 5 and 6, both neutered but I have noticed in recent months there does seem to be some tension. I'll often catch them in the garden staring at each other, with Flynn being quite tense, I dont think he can work out Jed's intentions sometimes (he has a habit of staring into space, sometimes in Flynn's direction). Then when they play it always seems to be based on Jed trying to 'get one over' on Flynn (trying to hump him, biting a bit too hard etc) which then results in Flynn getting angry and having a go back. Jed normally backs down straight away but there has been occasions when he hasnt and i've had to shout at them because an altercation starts. Now, I dont let it get that far and break up any play where Jed starts to get a bit OTT.

The trouble with my 2 is Jed is quite a cocky dog who can be too self assured in some ways (for example he wont move out of a humans way like the other 2 will, he'll stand his ground so that the humans walk round him - I dont I simply make him move by pushing him with my leg) and if he thinks he can take advantage of a situation or a weakness, he will do (this is why I dont trust him with humans, especially kids).
Flynn is a dog who feels threatened very easily and doesnt have much self confidence but is your typical bully, he will remove toys from the other dogs, move them off beds etc and always gets his own way. I suppose he's top dog most of the time and I think sometimes Jed challenges this a little but doesnt quite have the balls to make a proper stand!

I dont have a problem with any of them but I have definitely noticed a slight tension developing lately, just a bit of posturing, eyeballing etc.
Interesting that your boys have only started to show this tension recently? What do you think could be causing it?

Yogi is basically a bully, and always has been to an extent. He likes to put other dogs down on the floor and then stands posturing over them. He has never done this to Zak yet, but does it to the working collies any time he can get away with it Flame is top dog in our household, with Rip a close second and Yogi further down the chain. Zak is just a boisterous young lad, who is coming into his teenage phase and likes to push his luck a bit, and appears to enjoy goading Yogi to a certain extent.

They have had two proper spats in the last 4 months - and when I say proper spats, I mean Zak has goaded Yogi who has then retaliated and tried to flatten Zak, who immediately submits and attempts to flee. The worrying aspect for me is that Yogi doesn't appear to read dog language too well, or he does and he ignores it - in that Zak doesn't fight back (or hasn't so far, but that could just be a matter of time ) and he even tried to curl into a ball and also flee from Yogi. Yogi followed both times and continued the attack Thankfully Zak had no injuries, which does make me think it is more bluff and bluster than real attack - but I would rather stamp on it now than let it happen again. Next time Zak might fight back and then it would be hard to split them up.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2012, 03:26 PM
You may enjoy reading a copy of Pat McConnell's booklet on how to live in a multi dog household (so that the dogs have a good chance of getting on, she gives various exercises etc).

It is worth a read, and it's only cheap (but fab advice)

http://www.amazon.com/Feeling-Outnum...der_1891767062

If you Look Inside, you can read the table of contents etc

Wys
x
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2012, 03:56 PM
Benjie tries it with Louie - but Louie ignores him. It's only been a couple of times, but only Benjie starting something.

Benjie is 8, neutered and Louie 2 and entire.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >