Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Brownie
New Member!
Female 

11-06-2012, 02:17 AM

Food toppers

Hi everyone, just wondering what toppers you give your furry friends. I mix stuff that Brownie likes, like canned chicken, fish or beef with broth, yogurt or gravy and freeze them in ice trays. He gets 1 cube per meal partially melted onto his dry food. All ingredients I use are organic, no salt and meats are in water if from a can. I also use canned dog food sometimes but he loves home cooked toppers much more.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2012, 04:00 AM
My dogs eat raw
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2012, 05:32 AM
Mine are fed raw too, but my Mum's are fed on Burns and they sometimes get tinned sardines or cooked chicken with it as a treat.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2012, 07:43 AM
Mine are raw fed too so don't get a "topper" as such. They do have sardines in tomato sauce sometimes as a treat.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2012, 07:49 AM
I've always tried not to add fancy stuff to my dogs' basic diet mainly so that it is not TOO difficult for someone else to feed them if I am not there to do it and I can just leave a quantity of what she eats with the boarding kennels.

Or, in the case of my last dog, CKCS, my sister or whoever was moving in with the dog to care for her in my absence.

This was not a problem when I had GSDs. (Is there such a thing as a food picky GSD?) and of course no need to 'dress up' anything for them to eat! If they could get it in their mouths - they'd eat it!
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2012, 07:50 AM
Mackeral/sardines in tomato 45p in sainsburys last time i checked ^^

I check the reduced shelf also to look at reduced butchers fish/meat.
fiwen30
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-06-2012, 12:53 PM
Rogan is just on a complete kibble, though he'll sometimes have scraps added to it, if there's bits of meat or fish that need eating. Like Tangutica I prefer not to make his meal too complex, incase he needs to be looked after somewhere, or have his dinner away from home.
muttmom
New Member!
Female 

11-06-2012, 07:28 PM
My dog has always loved veggies. Steamed carrots, spaghetti squash, broccoli, and green beans are all popular with her. She also likes cheese, like cheddar and cottage cheese. When she ate kibble her dad would sometimes drain the water from his tuna onto her kibble. Though he only did it occasionally, it got to the point that she would run to the kitchen if she heard the can opener, LOL.
tiggers mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-06-2012, 06:54 PM
Fish4dogs salmon oil and their salmon mousse when its available. If I ever forget to add the salmon oil, they look at it, sniff it and look at me as if to say, somethings missing!!!! Sometimes add leftover veg from our meals too.