register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Which payment option would get you to most likely buy?
£99 for the year 4 26.67%
£9 a month 7 46.67%
If I wanted it I would get it no matter what 4 26.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Azz
Administrator
Male 

15-03-2012, 01:58 AM

Which payment option?

If there was something you wanted, that wasn't an essential purchase just something nice to have and there were two payment options which one would most likely get you to buy it?

Also, if the monthly option didn't tie you in (so you could cancel at any time) would that make you more likely to give the product a go?
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2012, 06:28 AM
For me it would depend on the price of the item.

I always try to pay up front, or at least get an interest free deal (is there really such a thing?)

I had to buy my car over two years and the interest really galled me, but I didn't have that kind of money to part with.

I guess in answer to your question I would say - depends on the price
AshMan
Dogsey Senior
Male 

15-03-2012, 10:57 AM
i always try to go for paying it all off at once if it wouldnt leave me short for the month.

not being tied in though would be a little appealing
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2012, 11:01 AM
I'd pay upfront. If I can't afford something there and then, I don't buy it.
alexgirl73
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-03-2012, 11:55 AM
monthly for me. It's the only way I can afford most stuff anyway
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2012, 12:43 PM
I see THREE options - not two!

I'm with Labradork. I have a morbid fear of debt. The only things I've ever bought on credit were houses (on mortgage) and got those paid off as quickly as possible because it terrified me!

So ... the option for me is not listed. I would never go for the extended payments and I would never go for it whether I could afford it or not. I would only buy it if I could afford to pay for it outright. If I couldn't afford it, I'd convince myself I didn't really need it!

Because my needs are relatively modest and I don't hanker after big or fast cars or expensive designer clobber, I can fortunately afford to buy most of the stuff I think I want or fancy. But I spend much more on my grandkids and my youngest than I do on myself over the course of the year. And I give a bit to charity too.

I've been a saver all my life - used to save ten quid a month even when I didn't earn much more than that a week!

Some who know me say I am a world class cheapskate! Because I can afford stuff but will quibble about the cost!

It's nice to know you could afford to buy a new car or anything in reason you fancied but it is hard to break the lifetime habit of economising and saving.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2012, 01:01 PM
I'm with most of the rest on here, if we haven't got the money, we can't afford it, it's always been like this here, we've never had anything on the never never except for houses with a mortgage. Even then, it was always a case of the monthly mortgage had to match what was coming in each week, my sister taught me that one, and it kept us comfortable without struggling to pay it.

Now I'm a saver and a bit of a skinflint like Tangutica there, I shop around, look at prices then I ask myself "do I really need it?" and if the answer is no, then I don't buy it. I can be very frivolous, frivalous, fffff, oh, wasteful with money when I have lots of it, then I regret my purchases I like it when I'm in this saving mood though, it gives me quite a buzz watching it stacking up, ka-ching, ka-ching!!!
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2012, 01:14 PM
It depends on what it is.....

I mostly pay up front but for example my TV license, I pay monthly D.D.

So it depends
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2012, 03:29 PM
i like pay monthly options, but i hate high interest. i have an account with next, which is quite big but the interest isnt too bad, and i never just pay minimum payments, usually pay a fair chunk off.

also got my chest freezer for the dogs out of the littlewoods catalogue and thats pay monthly (£20 i think) and thats interest free.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2012, 03:45 PM
We would try the two payments if we only had those choices and I really wanted it.

However a much more practical rule applies here, pay outright or go without
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >