Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
JamieK
New Member!
Male 

10-03-2012, 01:32 AM

New Dog Tomorrow

Hello everyone, I'm Jamie and I'm 21. We are getting a new dog tomorrow and i just wanted to find out abit about it, what it's like to train etc.

So we are getting a pedigree Brindle Staffy who's name is Izzie and she's 7. We took her to our home today and she was very excited and very, very fussy which is common in Staffies. I wondered what it would be like to train her? She already knows basics such as sit and paw, she instantly does it. Today i was a complete stranger to her and she abided by my voice.

We only know one problem with her is that she absolutely hates fireworks, she was sunning on the back garden of the previous owner and someone set a firework off who was next door, she went crazy and tried to jump up a 7ft fence which resulted in her breaking her elbow so we will be looking out for that in the summer.

The previous owner is getting rid because she's moving house and already has 4 dogs so she cant take any more and by the looks of it it's been really well looked after, it's had all it's jabs etc.

How long will it take for the excitement to wear of? 7 years with her owner then into a new house, will she chew anything up or will she be past that?

3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-03-2012, 01:45 AM
nice dog...sounds like anice dog, go slow and the dog should just slowly adjust to you life,be a strong leader and have funnn, con grates to you and your new dog..
Azz
Administrator
Male 

10-03-2012, 02:02 AM
Welcome and congrats on your new dog

Firstly, stop calling her 'it' - she's a she

Whenever there are fireworks keep her in and try to mask the sound by turning the TV up or putting some music on - and the day before, on the day and day after (and weekend after) don't take her for a walk after 5pm - as there will almost certainly be fireworks getting let off.

Staffies are a very excitable breed so she might not calm down lol they just love their people and stay like this pretty much throughout their life.

She might chew if she gets bored so make sure you have plenty of things to occupy her mind when she's left alone. Other than that she will slowly start to adjust to your way of life - and she's probably got a good 7 or so years left in her yet

Get some books on training too, The culture clash is very good: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Culture-Clas.../dp/1888047054

And good luck!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2012, 06:32 AM
She is a delight and I'm sure she'll settle right. I'm very happy for her that she has found another loving home....

Good luck, and keep us posted please?
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

10-03-2012, 06:59 AM
Shame that the old owners wouldn't take her with them, thier loss is your gain

Your first question was what will it be like to train her? That's a big question. For me, training dogs is hard work but very very rewarding. Sometimes they do things and its 2 steps back and you get exasperated, but if you persevere it always comes good in the end, and that is when it is very rewarding and fulfilling.

The book suggested (Culture Clash) is excellent. You may want to go to training classes so you yourself can learn how to train a dog. Avoid anywhere that uses harsh techniques such as pinning dogs down or uses things like check/choke chains. That could make and excitable dog agressive in the long run.

Good post above about the fireworks. Her reaction does seem to be worse than most though and the dog was injured badly. I think you should chat to your vet about this one as you wont want the dog doing harm to itself next time. I wonder if the Vet will recommend a medicinal sedative.

Good luck - it will be hard work, but you will not regret it!
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2012, 08:08 AM
Staffords are in my opinion the easiest dogs in the world to train, because they so want to please you.

As has been said go slow start as you mean to go on with what she is nallowed to do.

Big strong Kongs and Large Nylabones are good for them the chew on and the chewing should be fine.

She is likely a bit excited and may not be used to having all the attention and toys to herself but Staffords tend to stay puppy like all their lives.
Just stay calm yourself and ignore her when she gets too hyper and she will realise calm means attention, too excited meens no attention.
JamieK
New Member!
Male 

10-03-2012, 03:08 PM
She's been great so far, she's very excited to be with us it seems. I've just come back from a long walk with her.

The plonker fell in our fish pond by accident so we've had to bath her and she loved it.

Mazza
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-03-2012, 03:49 PM
She looks and sounds a treasure. Well done for giving her a loving home and I hope you have many happy years together.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2012, 04:32 PM
She looks adorable

We adopted Pepsi when she was 10. She knew the basics.
IMO take it slow and build on what she knows with love and treats
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

10-03-2012, 04:34 PM
great pics, keep them coming

sounds like day one went well (although the fish may not agree)
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >