View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mako17
New Member!
Male 

18-01-2012, 10:42 PM

Atpoica and Diabetes in dogs.. Please Read!!!

Hi, I live in north florida. I have a 7 year old welsh corgi. She was prescribed Atopic for her allergies. After a few months we noticed that she was losing weight and not eating but drinking a lot of water. We took her to my vet and upon taking a blood sample found out that her sugar level was at 379!!! He did a little research and could not find anywhere Atopica caused or has been known to cause diabetes in dogs. Well he went ahead an filed a complaint with the FDA. I have read on here in other forums about dogs getting diabetes after being on Atopica. If there are any other pet owners who have ran into this situation please have your vet file a complaint with the FDA. My corgi is finally coming home after being at the vet for 2 weeks to get her level back down but now is going to have to have 1 if not 2 shots a day to control it. By the way the vet is my brother in law and not someone out ot make a buck. If anyone wants to just e-=mail me at [contact details removed]
As a footnote he did find out from the company that makes the drug that if your dog is already a diabetic that Atopica has been found to elevate the level of your blood and they dont reccomend putting them on it.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2012, 02:38 AM
So sorry to hear about your little dog, such a worry for you xx
Deb/Pugglepup
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-01-2012, 05:28 AM
Glad to hear that the condition is now beginning to get under control. She must have been poorly to be hospitalized for two weeks.

Hope she carries on to recover well
Jugsmalone
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-01-2012, 11:35 AM
Sorry to read about your dog. Hope she is well on the road to recovery now.