Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-01-2012, 11:07 AM

Dumped dog rant

Someone dumped another dog here last night. I know it was late as I heard a car stop momentarily just across the road, car door open, slam shut, and car drive off. Probably around midnight.

I did not see the dog until I let Pereg out first thing this morning, and it has been wandering around since then. Not going very far, just coming back and sitting down on the corner, watching as cars go by.

We get unwanted dogs dumped here - small, large, scruffy, well groomed - and they mostly find other dumped dogs and we then end up with a pack of roaming strays until the dog catchers deign to come out and catch them.

This one? He/she is all by him/herself - and looks very unhappy. My neighbour phoned the Local Authority but they said they will not come out for just one dog, and in the meantime I see this poor dog just sitting across the road, occasionally wandering about but always coming back to the corner of the road. Just sitting and looking and watching...

...and there is nothing I can do.

I hate people who do this - just stick their unwanted dog in their car, drive to the nearest Moshav/Kibbutz/Army base, open the door of the car, shove the dog out, and drive off.

And I am sitting here looking out and I can still see that dog sitting on the corner diagonally opposite me and feeling guilty because I cannot go and rescue it and give it a home.
twilightwolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-01-2012, 11:59 AM
that is terrible
alexgirl73
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-01-2012, 12:46 PM
poor, poor dog And you of course, it must be an awful feeling.
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2012, 01:07 PM
OMG

It would break my heart watching it, poor thing.

Good job it doesn't happen near me as I'd end up with a house full
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2012, 02:38 PM
awww poor thing obviously feeling homesick I would too if I was abandond on a street :<

how could do they do that to a dog that clearly loved its masters a lot.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2012, 03:30 PM
I'm afraid I would be out there getting it in to the safety of my home until I could find it a good home.
Poor thing must be very scared and bewildered and will soon be hungrey and thirsty.
Breaks my heart how people can do that.
lennydoglover
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-01-2012, 03:33 PM
Poor dog. I hope somebody can give him a home
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-01-2012, 07:02 PM
Unfortunately this is a common occurrence and it is so sad. The dog hung around for a while then disappeared off behind the macolet and I have not seen it since. I have been living on this Moshav for over 16 years now and I do not think a week goes by without at least one dog just dumped here.

The dog catchers do come round if they get enough complaints, but as so many people here let their dogs roam free it is sometimes difficult to know whether a dog belongs to someone here or not, although this dog definitely did not as I had never seen it before. I would know if I had as it was a rather unusual colouring - grey, white, and a bit of black - and of course not wearing a collar.

I hate the people who do this - want to get rid of their dog for some reason so just drive out of town and dump it at the first place they come to. There are a couple of rescue organisations in town but they can only take a limited number of dogs - and the municipality pound will only collect strays actually in town. Dogs that are dumped here end up at our Local Authority pound, which is responsible for whole area, not just this Moshav.

I am afraid that this is not a Country of dog lovers.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2012, 07:14 PM
Horrible for you Malka. Cyprus is not a country of dog lovers either. I know how you feel. I've been in tears looking at some of the dogs who've been abandoned. They just sit or lie there and get up hopefully, wagging their tails as anyone approaches and then slink down again as they pass by.

And - yes - it would be lovely to take them in (I've itched to pick up some and bathe them and feed them) but, alas, when this happens so regularly, you would end up with hundreds of dogs.

We too have a few shelters but they are invariably overcrowded all the time.

I think what happens is that the dog that is dumped sits or stays there for a while (probably thinking owner will return) and then gives up and wanders off. Well I assume this happens because none of them ever seem to be in the same place for more than a few days.

There are thousands of strays here.
chaospony
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-01-2012, 02:11 AM
That happens all the time where my Mom lives in the country in Missouri. She does pick them up and gets shots and neutered and they tend to live with her for a bit until she finds it a very good home. At the moment she is now down to 4 dogs (including her 1 own). It is hard to fund but she has a good friend who is a vet that helps by only charging her at cost, which she is lucky to have.