Our sister sites
Our sister sites
dentalhand
New Member!
Female 

08-11-2011, 05:00 PM

Hi every one from Me and Bernard (Puggle love) Need a little help

Hello
I have just owend a little boy Puggle Could Bernard.
He is a lovely little pup and enjoys loads of cuddles.
Bernard is 9 weeks old.
I have been busy settling him over the past 3 days.
He is very clever and is already sitting on comand. He understands Down and Bed and most of the time has a poo and wee on the mat.
He is going to have his 2nd injection this week.

Iam a bit worried because he is very clingy..
Iam afraid he gets quite anxious when I leave...
He dose follow me around a bit, but I have been ignoring this and he is slowly getting the hint.
Iam afraid he gets quite anxious when I leave..
Any one have any tips or training methods I could use to prevent him getting so Anxious. He dose have a create which he likes to sleep and play in. Have not closed the door on him yet!

Thanks Chloe and Bernard
Red[dog]
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-11-2011, 10:02 PM
If he is used to the crate with the door open already, that's a good start. Helping his anxiety now whilst he is still young will make it easier on him as he ages.

What I would do is work at making his crate the happiest place for him in the world. Throw treats in there so he runs in to get them, and praise him massively when he does. When he isn't looking or is out of the room, hide treats in there so he is constantly going in to look for goodies. Put his favourite toys in there for him to find.

When he is fully happy and settled in his crate, give him the command to go in there (or put him in / wait for him to go in on his own if he doesn't have a command yet), then close the door. Sit right beside the crate and feed him treats through the bars whilst the door is closed. Only leave him in there for a few seconds at first, then let him out and give him LOTS of praise! Do this a few times a day, at first just for a few seconds, then for ten, twenty, thirty, etc. If at any point he acts upset, go back a step until he is comfortable again.

Once he's happy having you sit beside him, move further away, and build up the time again. When he's fine with this, try leaving the room for a few seconds, then praise when you come back and let him out. Build this up until he can be left in there whilst you are in another room doing the washing up, taking a shower, whatever...

When he's fine with that you repeat the procedure with you stepping outside the house! At first step out for a few seconds, then come back in, let him out and praise him. Build this up very gradually until you are confident he can be left comfortably and happily. It can help to get him used to doing fun things in his crate on his own (Kongs stuffed with goodies etc).

We did this with our dog, who we adopted at 9 months old, had really bad separation anxiety. He would wine, bark, scratch, and be destructive when we left him. We crate trained him as I described above (it took us months!) and now he can be happily left for 5 hours in his crate, and he goes in there happily on command

Hope this helps, good look with your puppy

Red
Jugsmalone
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-11-2011, 04:56 PM
Hello and welcome to Dogsey. are you going to put some pics on of Bernard? it would be nice to see him.