Our sister sites
Our sister sites
alexgirl73
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-09-2011, 07:16 PM

Menu advice

Hi all, me again

okay, Ranger is absolutely LOVING the raw food so far. He had 2 chicken wings last night for tea followed by an egg, then today he had turkey (had been in the freezer for ages and I was at a loss as what to cook with it lol) for breakfast, a chicken wing at lunch and then for tea 1/3 of a mackerel, some chicken and liver (prize choice frozen block) and another chicken wing. Obviously I don't want him having CW's all the time and he'll be having none tomorrow, just thought they were a good intro for him to crunching and such like. Tomorrow is a beef frozen block for breakfast followed by a carrot (he likes them), then tripe and more mackerel for tea. Want to put him onto 2 meals a day rather than the 3.

So, what do your dogs usually get each day per meal? I've calculated the amount he should get at 5% of his body weight atm as he's a puppy, and we'll see how he goes on it, the old hand/eye thing. I'm just worried about getting the balance right as I'm just starting out.

I also contacted a local butcher who is happy for me to come up on weds to get offcuts, offal, carcasses etc, and as long as I actually buy something from the shop it'll be free so that type of meat will be added from midweek. I guess I just need lots of reassurance that I'm doing the right thing and that I'm not going to kill my dog
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2011, 07:23 PM
Originally Posted by alexgirl73 View Post
Hi all, me again

okay, Ranger is absolutely LOVING the raw food so far. He had 2 chicken wings last night for tea followed by an egg, then today he had turkey (had been in the freezer for ages and I was at a loss as what to cook with it lol) for breakfast, a chicken wing at lunch and then for tea 1/3 of a mackerel, some chicken and liver (prize choice frozen block) and another chicken wing.

OMG what a mixture.

Obviously I don't want him having CW's all the time and he'll be having none tomorrow, just thought they were a good intro for him to crunching and such like. Tomorrow is a beef frozen block for breakfast followed by a carrot (he likes them), then tripe and more mackerel for tea.

Want to put him onto 2 meals a day rather than the 3.

What at only 4 months old???????/

So, what do your dogs usually get each day per meal? I've calculated the amount he should get at 5% of his body weight atm as he's a puppy, and we'll see how he goes on it, the old hand/eye thing. I'm just worried about getting the balance right as I'm just starting out.

I also contacted a local butcher who is happy for me to come up on weds to get offcuts, offal, carcasses etc, and as long as I actually buy something from the shop it'll be free so that type of meat will be added from midweek. I guess I just need lots of reassurance that I'm doing the right thing and that I'm not going to kill my dog

As in all things, make haste slowly.

I would give chicken wings once a day and then ONE other protein source for the other meal (I would personally stil have a dog on 3 meals a day at this age).
alexgirl73
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-09-2011, 07:42 PM
ah, ok! Most of the sites I had been reading talked about having the dogs on 2 meals so I presumed that was the way to go, but I'll leave him on 3 for the time being .

The reason I gave him the extra food today, and yup I know it was a bit of a mix lol, was that he still seemed really hungry after his prize choice meat block and we were chopping up the mackerel for the freezer anyway.