Our sister sites
Our sister sites
BeagleBella
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-02-2012, 11:50 AM

Beagle off Lead (walking in Peterborough area ).,

Hi all,

I would like to let my 5 month beagle, Bella off the lead on occasional walks. I have a 10ft lead, that I take with me to go round fields etc - and she isn't too bad with recall (but I no way near trust her to let her off completely yet). Just wondering if anyone knew of enclosed fields - somewhere I can keep my eye on her, so not too big, but big enough so she can have a good run.
I live in Peterborough, UK, so somewhere around this area would be good. I took her to hills and hollows last week, but that was far too big to let her off lead.
Thanks, Carla.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2012, 11:56 AM
Don't know of any areas but maybe try some horse riding schools/stables, they may have secure paddocks or even indoor arenas you could let her have a good run around in.
Would you feel comfortable using a longer line? My dogs have 30' long lines which allows them to have a bit of a run. I wouldn't go any longer with my two because they're large breeds and could build up too much of a momentum on any longer, but you could probably get away with longer than 10' if you feel strong enough to keep hold.
BeagleBella
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-02-2012, 11:30 AM
Hi, thanks for your reply. I took her out last night with some beef (yummy) we had her on the 10ft line and went to a field, I got my mum to hold her one end, I ran off and called her, and she came straight away. The rest of the walk (on path) I let her have 3 or 4ft and whenever called, she came - even mid sniffing / meeting other dogs...so there may be hope for her yet!! Fingers crossed!! x
tink
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2012, 03:01 PM
There is a group of fields inbetween Paston & Gunthorpe in Peterborough the first field nearer Paston end has an enclosed Basketball court in the middle of it,I practised all my off lead training with all 3 in there and have been sucessful with all 3 of mine being offlead and fairly reliable.the thing with Beagles is to be aware of the surroundings ,there are certain places i can't let mine off as they will be away no matter what Anywhere near horses and rabbits is a no for mine,Bea likes to chase birds and cycles so i have to be extra careful with her,particually since we just moved house and her walks are all new now.Daisy is fab and can be let off anywhere but she's 8 yrs old,lazy & with very little 'Beagle naughtiness' in her I think the key with beagles is constant recall training,I still practise every month or so to reinforce and use good judgement as to where i let them off