Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2011, 06:02 AM

A Real Hero IMO!

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/120920...ver-clyde.html

Former Everton, Rangers and England midfielder Trevor Steven had to be rescued from the freezing River Clyde near Glasgow after trying to rescue his dog.

Steven had to jump into the River after his German shepherd Mac fell down a 15ft embankment and into the water, according to a report in the Daily Record.
Steven, 47, spent 30 minutes in the River with water up to his chest before he was hauled out as a police helicopter, two fire crews and paramedics arrived on the scene.
“It was a bit of a shock to find myself under the water and hard to believe it was happening to me,” said Steven.
"One minute, I was walking along the river path and the next I was underwater. I didn't really have any choice as Mac had fallen down the slope and he would have been swept away.
"I was acting through instinct more than anything else and I followed him down the slope, which was around 15ft.
"I realised that there was no possibility of avoiding going in the water but I had to get myself between the dog and the water and that's what I did."
Steven was rescued when a close friend called the emergency services.

Eurosport
astle9
Dogsey Senior
Male 

13-09-2011, 06:11 AM
in the cold light of day he is a blithering idiot, do you think his wife and family would want him risking his life, in the vast majority of cases the dogs would make it to safety without assistance.
In the heat of the moment i would have done the same thing.
Excellent football player by the way back in the day.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

13-09-2011, 07:12 AM
Originally Posted by astle9 View Post
in the cold light of day he is a blithering idiot, do you think his wife and family would want him risking his life, in the vast majority of cases the dogs would make it to safety without assistance.
In the heat of the moment i would have done the same thing.
The thing is that a dog, if it had the chance, would do the same for it's human companion, unfortunately they don't have the ability to handle ropes, use walkie talkies, inflateables etc.

It's all about loyalty which us humans are not all that good at.

As mentioned above I would also try to save my dog in similar situation, and in my case I know my wife would approve