Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2011, 06:11 AM

Dentist/New Teeth/Questions????

I am going to see my dentist today to see about getting some new teeth, the clip on sort apparently as I didn't want anything screwed in my head and he said these were more hygenic than a plate.
What I can't understand is why I need 4 appointments .
Surely I go today and they do impressions or measurements and then I just go back to make sure they fit ok once they are done.
Can anyone tell me what on earth he needs me for on the other two appointments? Its worrying me now about how they do this as I know nothing about them.
If any of you have these can you tell me what to expect at these 4 appointments please?
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2011, 06:50 AM
I can't see how you can have clip-ons without a plate to hold them down (or up!). I have a metal partial, which has clips to the front teeth, but it still has a small plate which sits in my mouth The only other way, is to have the tooth next to the gap crowned, so that they can then attach a false tooth to that crown (I've got one of those too in the front!).

Regarding the visits, you need a visit for impressions which they send off to the technician. Then he sends them back a WAX model of the teeth, which the dentist then puts in your mouth, to fiddle about with the fit and the bite. You then go back again when he's made the real jobbies, and you might need to go back again to have the final tweak done - hope that helps Bev! Good luck, at least it's relatively pain free all of this!!
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2011, 07:06 AM
Thanks H. "Relatively" pain free though I am hoping "Totally" pain free
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-09-2011, 07:59 AM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
I can't see how you can have clip-ons without a plate to hold them down (or up!). I have a metal partial, which has clips to the front teeth, but it still has a small plate which sits in my mouth The only other way, is to have the tooth next to the gap crowned, so that they can then attach a false tooth to that crown (I've got one of those too in the front!).

Regarding the visits, you need a visit for impressions which they send off to the technician. Then he sends them back a WAX model of the teeth, which the dentist then puts in your mouth, to fiddle about with the fit and the bite. You then go back again when he's made the real jobbies, and you might need to go back again to have the final tweak done - hope that helps Bev! Good luck, at least it's relatively pain free all of this!!
I've got two of those (bridges) much better than a removable one.

Good luck
LissaBrown
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-09-2011, 08:55 AM
At my practice with these sort of things you have initial impressions, then a bite stage, then a try in and then the actual fit appointment. I would guess your appointments are similar to these!
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2011, 09:05 AM
Im having second thoughts about the drilling into my jaw bone for implants
LissaBrown
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-09-2011, 09:15 AM
Implants really are the best things you can have...other than your own teeth!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2011, 09:32 AM
Originally Posted by LissaBrown View Post
Implants really are the best things you can have...other than your own teeth!
I agree, but if you've had the tooth out due to gum problems, say an abcess, it won't stop it coming back, and then you've lost all that money I know a good dentist will tell you beforehand though whether or not it's advisable to have an implant. I couldn't have any for that very reason - sadly!
LissaBrown
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-09-2011, 07:14 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
I agree, but if you've had the tooth out due to gum problems, say an abcess, it won't stop it coming back, and then you've lost all that money I know a good dentist will tell you beforehand though whether or not it's advisable to have an implant. I couldn't have any for that very reason - sadly!
Yeap that is very true, and if you are a heavy smoker you may not be suitable for implants either...some implantologists will not do implants on smokers full stop!
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2011, 08:08 PM
Originally Posted by LissaBrown View Post
Yeap that is very true, and if you are a heavy smoker you may not be suitable for implants either...some implantologists will not do implants on smokers full stop!
Can I ask if there's a medical reason for this? Just wondering
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >