Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Do you groom your dog/s
As and when they need it 54 58.70%
By sticking to a set time frame, religiously 9 9.78%
Whenever you remember to 13 14.13%
Other, please specify 16 17.39%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2010, 09:29 AM

Grooming poll

How often do you groom your dog/s?

By grooming I mean general stuff such as teeth cleaning, ear cleaning, paw checks and brushing etc.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2010, 09:39 AM
Honestly.......whenever I remember to!
Teagan has a very short coat so doesn't need much grooming in that sense.

I check her ears periodically, and as I can see her feet/claws all the time, I know if there is something wrong in that area!
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2010, 09:44 AM
Not as often as I should when in moult Honey has to be brushed twice daily, I use a groomit, Diesel can get away with one brush a day during that time, but gets two most days too, when there not in moult its whenever I remember too, although tbh that can be a long time between brushings, I check their nails often, Honey has fast growing nails, but I haven't had to trim them for a while, and the dogs ears get checked every couple of days unless they are paying a bit too much attention to them, I check the ears a lot because Honey has a history with her ears, and the cause of the problem was never found, but the viens in her ears were more prominant, so I look for signs like that, aswell as generally cleanliness etc.
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2010, 09:54 AM
Ivan generally gets a complete head to toe every couple of weeks. I clean his ears once a week as he does suffer from ear infections. When he is blowing his coat, twice yearly, it would be more like twice a day.
Other than that a few times a week I'll give him a tidy up and check for matts round the ears, arm pits and trousers.
TBH I really enjoy grooming him and he loves it and would sit for hours xx
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2010, 09:57 AM
I check Henrys teeth and ears every day, he also gets brushed every day, sometimes twice, but that is because he is losing his puppy coat still.

I trim him once a week to keep him in show trim.

He is bathed once a week, sometimes in the bath, sometimes just his undercarriage, which we do in the garden with a bucket of warm water...he enjoys helping and paddling and adores being blow dried afterwards

As he is in a dog show on Sunday he hasn't been bathed or trimmed this week, I shall do that all tomorrow so he is as tidy as possible for Sunday.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-08-2010, 09:58 AM
Cant really say any of the above.

Nails, bandit gets his clipped ever couple of weeks, Millie never have to bother.. (bandit has terrible feet , so does not walk them down) teeth cleaning, they get "plaque off" in their feed every day, so brush on average once a week, maybe more maybe less (sore point, Millie needs to see the dentist ).

Grooming, I could brush Bandit twice/three times a day and he loses hair, Millie a quick brush once a week or so, bu she needs to be bathed more often , as she is a mud magnet

Ears, when they need them to be done!!

P.S, when grooming, always go over them for any new lumps and bumps!!!
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2010, 10:07 AM
Two-three times a week they get a full brush through - they will get a blast and groom daily in winter though!

Trimming - Connor will get trimmed for each show.

Charlie a tidy up as and when needed and Maxy the same (as he's not shown so much now).
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2010, 10:10 AM
Dex (Lab) gets his ears checked regularly (prone to infection), gets brushed maybe every few weeks, bathed when required, and has never had his nails done.

Tilly (Yorkshire) goes to the groomers every 3 months and has everything done there -- nails, bath, cut, etc. I only brush in between.

Bo has thus so far only been brushed, and that is every few weeks. Never done her nails/ears and she has only been bathed once.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2010, 10:11 AM
With the coated terriers it is once a week if not being shown.

Everyday when being shown

Staffords ears paws and teeth check in the evening while on the sofa and they are a sleep.

Coats brushed out once every 2 weeks unless spring moult then once or twice a week.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2010, 10:26 AM
I put as and when because I groom rarely, but handle them frequently!
They clean their own teef with bones and wear their own nails down with walking, keep themselves clean with swimming and rolling and soon let me know if feet or ears are causing problems. .
I give Daisy a brush a couple of times a week to get knots out and brush/stroke Raz every day to get him used to being handled.
When I had shorthaired GSDs I didn`t groom at all, except when they moulted.
I think how much you groom depends more on your type of dog.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >