Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kellylou89
New Member!
Female 

10-05-2011, 06:54 PM

Any Advice will be appreciated!

Hello, i have a behavioural question to ask .. I have two staffordshire bull terrier's a castrated 9month old male and recently a 7week old female as she was dumped we took her in.
My 9month old has always been very welcoming with other dogs etc and never had a problem with the socializing side of things.
The two of them will sleep side by side togethor and also while the 7wk old is sleeping my 9month old will check on her, and lick her then walk off etc, BUT when we put the 7wk old on the floor my 9month old always puts his mouth around her (Not hard as she dont yelp etc and rolls over) he also prods her with his paw, they will quite happily sit side by side chewing a bone etc, i would just like too know if what my 9month old is doing is usual .. We only got her saturday so they have only been in the same house for 3days.
The 7wk old is very vocal with him and when playing will growl at him even when his not playing she'll run up to him and pounce on him, they end up chasing each other and they get overly excited so we stp it before 1 hurts the other.
They both Mouth each other alot aswell, my 9month old will sit with his mouth open and the 7wk old will nip his mouth and cheeks etc, he dont seem bothered by it and occasionally will nip her back.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2011, 06:56 PM
Sounds normal. What`s the question?
kellylou89
New Member!
Female 

10-05-2011, 06:58 PM
Does it? .. Sorry if im time wasting :S i just wanted to make sure it was part of the process of getting to know each other etc and not anything more, as this is the first time ive had 2 dogs at the same time.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2011, 06:59 PM
Originally Posted by kellylou89 View Post
Hello, i have a behavioural question to ask .. I have two staffordshire bull terrier's a castrated 9month old male and recently a 7week old female as she was dumped we took her in.
My 9month old has always been very welcoming with other dogs etc and never had a problem with the socializing side of things.
The two of them will sleep side by side togethor and also while the 7wk old is sleeping my 9month old will check on her, and lick her then walk off etc, BUT when we put the 7wk old on the floor my 9month old always puts his mouth around her (Not hard as she dont yelp etc and rolls over) he also prods her with his paw, they will quite happily sit side by side chewing a bone etc, i would just like too know if what my 9month old is doing is usual .. We only got her saturday so they have only been in the same house for 3days.
The 7wk old is very vocal with him and when playing will growl at him even when his not playing she'll run up to him and pounce on him, they end up chasing each other and they get overly excited so we stp it before 1 hurts the other.
They both Mouth each other alot aswell, my 9month old will sit with his mouth open and the 7wk old will nip his mouth and cheeks etc, he dont seem bothered by it and occasionally will nip her back.
All sounds perfectly normal to me.

SBTs are very oral.

Do you have a crate so you can separate them when you are not there to supervise?

It is IMHO essential to ensure safety of pup and enable older one to relax and escape the puppy; it also means that they do not become co=dependant and start to view you as merely a mobile food dispenser and dog transporter!

I am not sure that you should continue the "sharing" of bones as at some point in time this may well become a source of contention!

Take care that neither reaches a point of over arousal where they may forget themselves.

HTH
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2011, 06:59 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Sounds normal. What`s the question?
I agree.

You have two normal dogs.
kellylou89
New Member!
Female 

10-05-2011, 07:02 PM
Thank you guys so much for the replys! you have no idea how much my mind is now at ease! lol as i love them both so much!

We have been making sure they have there own bones now yep and if the younger one trys to take my older ones, we make sure she drops it and give her her own one back and it goes back to normal.
And yep we do have a crate we have to get a new one for my older boy tho as he out grew the one that my girl is in.
Lovesgsds
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-05-2011, 11:59 PM
My pup is always biting my 8 year old lab, we're slowly getting her to stop biting us but she still bites Summer just as much she sits and chews Summers tail if she won't play! I'd definatley take up the advice of SB on a crate, Keira goes in it at night and after each meal for half an hour to make sure she rests, she is great in the crate (first couple of days we had a little crying but nothing major) and shes just started, yesterday and today going in there herself for a lie down whenever she wants a rest, as SB says it gives my older dog some much needed peace
Lovesgsds
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-05-2011, 12:03 AM
Originally Posted by kellylou89 View Post
And yep we do have a crate we have to get a new one for my older boy tho as he out grew the one that my girl is in.
Doh just read your last reply properly!!

Have you posted any pics yet? xx
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2011, 05:57 AM
Perfectly normal behaviour, they sound like they are going to be firm friends xxxxx

Best wishes xxxxxxxxx
kellylou89
New Member!
Female 

11-05-2011, 01:25 PM
Thanks guys for the reassurance! lol.
Lovesgsds - Yep theres piks over in the piks part

My oldest made me proud today, we thought we would see if they are ok eating in the same room (Vinnies food goes down first ofcourse) Both stood at there dinners, not a peep from either of them, then all of a sudden skye went over to Vinnies bowl, he looked at her and then carried on eating not a peep from him! ofcourse we moved her away when he carried on to her own bowl, but so proud of him for that! not a growl, snap nothing

Is it normal for this beheaviour to happen all the time tho lol, she came home saturday and ever since its been the same, at times they just chill and eat there bones by each other but if not distracted by that its the case and mouthing lol.