Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2011, 07:17 PM

Dew claws on back legs

My newly acquired 5 year old BC x (possibly with Husky) Bobbie who arrived yesterday has dew claws on his back legs. I have never come across this. Is it common in some breeds? Having trouble typing this as he is currently draped right across me on the settee and I don't want to disturb him as he seems very comfy
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2011, 07:45 PM
Yes for some it is in the breed standard, some also have double dew claws.
HiHoSilver
Dogsey Senior
Male 

08-05-2011, 07:49 PM
It is common in German shepherds,Pyrenean Mountain dogs have two of them!It's a major op to have them off in a mature dog so I personally would wait and see if there's a problem with them before booking an amputation.There may be other views..
Are they loose and floppy or is there obvious muscular control ie are they tight to the leg?The former is more likely to tear and give problems.
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2011, 07:54 PM
Originally Posted by HiHoSilver View Post
It is common in German shepherds,Pyrenean Mountain dogs have two of them!It's a major op to have them off in a mature dog so I personally would wait and see if there's a problem with them before booking an amputation.There may be other views..
I wouldn't even consider an amputation as he has managed with them for five years with no problems. I was just curious.
kirsty_
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2011, 09:39 PM
My mix terrier has back dew claws but my gsd doesn't. They've never caused any problems for my terrier , i just need to trim them every month or so.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2011, 09:42 PM
My old boy Hal had double dew claws on his back legs and they never caused any problem whatsoever. I never trimmed them, or interfered with them in any way. Best leave well alone imo - Hal's were loose and floppy btw.
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2011, 09:51 PM
Our NID Shadow (RIP beautiful boy) had double dew claws at the back, each had its own pad. They never caused him any bother.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2011, 09:53 PM
Originally Posted by werewolf View Post
Our NID Shadow (RIP beautiful boy) had double dew claws at the back, each had its own pad. They never caused him any bother.
Yup, I totally agree - Hal's had their own pads, they were like mini paws really, and never ever ever caused him any problem whatsoever.

Leave well alone is my advice.
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2011, 09:54 PM
We did have to trim his because they did not wear down by themselves.
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2011, 09:57 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Yup, I totally agree - Hal's had their own pads, they were like mini paws really, and never ever ever caused him any problem whatsoever.

Leave well alone is my advice.
Yes, I get upset when I hear of breeders having them removed from pups. I know they probably think they are doing the right thing.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >