Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2011, 10:24 AM

Henry and mealtimes

When I first got Henry he was a kennel dog, fed one meal a day and some biscuits at bedtime.

I had been feeding Leon a small breakfast then splitting his main meal to two meals, I felt happier that he wouldn't be hungry and also he was getting something to eat when we were eating. It worked well for him, it was a routine I was happy with and Henry adapted to it immediately

Over the last month or so though, Hen has either not eaten breakfast, or dinner, but has eaten his evening meal, sometimes he will at all three meals but mostly he will eat his breakfast and evening meal but leave the lunchtime one.

He is carrying enough body weight for me not to be worried about him losing any weight, although I do constantly keep that monitored, and he seems very well in himself. I'm not worried about him healthwise, I think he just doesn't feel hungry sometimes so doesn't bother eating, (he has kibble with cooked white fish fillet for his main meals), although if I were to have a sandwich or piece of toast he would more than likely eat some if offered.

I decided, this week, to cut out his lunchtime meal, just give him breakfast and evening, and he seems happy enough on this, but now I'm worried that he could get an empty stomach during the day which I know can lead to bloat. I have to admit that I'm not happy giving him just the two meals, I would far rather leave it as it was, but it seemed daft cooking his fish and then him not eating it.

Not sure if it has anything to do with it but Hen has just turned 2 years old, he has quietened down a lot in himself so wonder if, because he's not running around like a loony, he simply isn't burning off the calories so isn't hungry.

Any suggestions or advice?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2011, 10:28 AM
Owning two breeds which are predisposed to develop GD and/or GDV I feel your pain.

But dogs were built to gorge and fast so I find that two meals a day is the best way to go, it keeps their blood sugar levels stable, minimises the likelihood of GD or GDV and is something that breaks up the day.

It would not be practical for me to feed three times a day anyway and even if it were, I would not want to.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2011, 10:31 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Owning two breeds which are predisposed to develop GD and/or GDV I feel your pain.

But dogs were built to gorge and fast so I find that two meals a day is the best way to go, it keeps their blood sugar levels stable, minimises the likelihood of GD or GDV and is something that breaks up the day.

It would not be practical for me to feed three times a day anyway and even if it were, I would not want to.
Thanks Smokey

I have to say that his breakfast is usually some scrambled egg or brown bread soldiers, just a little something to keep him going until lunchtime...I wonder if I cut that out, as it's not really giving him much nutrition, and then concentrate on his kibble/fish meals which provides everything he needs to keep going, he may be more inclined to eat both proper meals.

It's amazing how getting things off your chest makes you think of other options
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2011, 10:33 AM
Oh I see you are giving him two main meals close together!

Well I would deffo cut out the bread etc and just split his normal ration of whatever food he is on about as near as 12 hours apart as practical, I expect you will find his appetite perks up then.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2011, 10:35 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Oh I see you are giving him two main meals close together!

Well I would deffo cut out the bread etc and just split his normal ration of whatever food he is on about as near as 12 hours apart as practical, I expect you will find his appetite perks up then.
I'll try that tomorrow then, some kibble/fish at 7am ish and then the same for his evening meal..many thanks
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2011, 10:37 AM
Hi Sheree

Max has 3 meals a day, mainly as I worry about bloat too. I know that over the summer, Max isn't always that fussed about eating his lunch, whether that's because he doesn't need as much energy as he spends less time running around madly when it is hot or because, a bit like me, he just doesn't feel like eating when it is hot? Having said that, it's not hot enough yet for Max to have started refusing his lunch.

If you wanted to carry on feeding Henry 3 times a day, could you reduce his overall quantity of food and see if he eats lunch then and just monitor him to make sure he is still getting enough?
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2011, 11:00 AM
Originally Posted by majuka View Post
Hi Sheree

Max has 3 meals a day, mainly as I worry about bloat too. I know that over the summer, Max isn't always that fussed about eating his lunch, whether that's because he doesn't need as much energy as he spends less time running around madly when it is hot or because, a bit like me, he just doesn't feel like eating when it is hot? Having said that, it's not hot enough yet for Max to have started refusing his lunch.

If you wanted to carry on feeding Henry 3 times a day, could you reduce his overall quantity of food and see if he eats lunch then and just monitor him to make sure he is still getting enough?
Thanks Jane I did wonder if the hotter weather had anything to do with it, but it's been so much colder lately and he is still unpredictable with his meals...I'm glad we're not alone in this though

I do only give him a small amount of the kibble each session, although he does have a whole fish fillet with each meal, I don't really want to reduce the kibble as it is what is giving him all the nutrients he needs.

I'm going to try as Smokey suggested for a week or so, see if that makes him any better...I probably am worrying over nothing and he will just eat when he feels like it
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2011, 11:07 AM
Lennon gets two meals but also gets a biscuit at lunchtime to break up the long wait for his dinner.

He sometimes gets a chewy stick instead, but he always gets a "little" something.

HTH x
nddogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-05-2011, 12:15 PM
My GSP is a big lad and is fed two meals a day one in the morning and the other in the evening most people I know do the same, and if I have to fed dry food (like our viz) I soak it with a bit of warm water.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2011, 12:20 PM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
Lennon gets two meals but also gets a biscuit at lunchtime to break up the long wait for his dinner.

He sometimes gets a chewy stick instead, but he always gets a "little" something.

HTH x
Thanks Vicki I'm going to try doing that from tomorrow, give him one of his meals as breakfast and the other at tea. I'm always here with him so if he is looking for food then he can have something to tide him over xx

Originally Posted by nddogs View Post
My GSP is a big lad and is fed two meals a day one in the morning and the other in the evening most people I know do the same, and if I have to fed dry food (like our viz) I soak it with a bit of warm water.
Thanks nd Yes, it certainly sounds the way to go. I also soak Hen's kibble, he has a bit of boiled water on it and then the fish stock
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >