Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2011, 09:25 PM

Best bones for teeth cleaning?

Is there a specific type of bone that is good for teeth cleaning? Lots of people say that raw bones keep their dogs teeth clean but Cain has been on raw for 6+ months now and over the last few months I've noticed a little brown building up on his teeth so it doesn't seem to be working for him While his teeth are fine I don't want to allow it to build up. I have been training him to accept getting his teeth brushed but I was wondering if there was a type if raw bone that was best for cleaning teeth?

He gets chicken wings/necks/carcasses, lamb ribs, frozen hunks of venison spine, occassional pork shoulders and whole rabbits, but these aren't keeping his teeth spotless. I tend to avoid weight bearing bones and marrowbones as I worry about him cracking his teeth. He also has a daily raw carrot and a nylabone and Stagbar antler that he chews on a few times a week.

Any tips?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2011, 09:35 PM
RMBs are consumables, Recreational bones ie those that are not meant to be consumed are knuckle bones etc.

If you do not want to give these type of bones because you are afraid it may damage his teeth (not had any dog damage their teeth in 10 years on these) you may wish to consider fragaria, plaque off or logic gel
MarcusF
Dogsey Junior
Male 

13-03-2011, 10:06 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
...you may wish to consider fragaria, plaque off or logic gel
Without hijacking too much is this stuff good?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2011, 10:08 PM
Dunno never used it but several people I know do.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2011, 10:10 PM
I've umm'd and aah'd over marrowbones for a while and have never quite reached a decision on it so haven't fed them yet. Still wavering over it (one person on here had their dog's canine tooth crack with the first bone they fed them! Rare maybe but that tale was enough to make me think twice). I did suspect it was the recreational marrowbones that were best for teeth cleaning.

I have ordered Logic toothpaste and also something to go in his water. He's getting better a tolerating brushing, I can do his back teeth now which he wouldn't accept before.

ETA: Im going to try and get some lamb heads, hopefully chewing on them might help.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2011, 10:12 PM
I wonder if maybe Cain chews the food a bit differently then, I got a good view of Casper's teeth earlier when giving him a belly rub and they're all white, even at the back. My two get pizzle sticks fairly often too which they have a real gnaw on, not sure if that makes a difference.
I wonder if maybe the raw carrot could be a culprit, if the amount of sugar in it was enough to maybe contribute to this issue? Just a stab in the dark really!
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2011, 10:16 PM
i was under the impression its the 'ripping and tearing of flesh' that cleans the teeth(like hunting cats)

i use lamb and beef ribs.

but as kylyr.. maybe the prob is the carrots
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2011, 10:23 PM
I fed the carrots because I was told they were good for cleaning teeth can't win! I could try dropping them but as I've just cut his food down a bit I was banking on the veggies filling him up.

He does get pizzle and paddywhack to chew too, but he's still getting s little build up. As said, it is minimal, but obviously the sort of thing you dont want to let develop.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2011, 10:27 PM
I don't know if there's any basis on me saying it but I do know carrots are one of the more sugar-y veg out there. Would he eat any other veg? Celery, maybe, if that's OK for dogs?
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 08:36 AM
http://www.puredog.co.uk/our-products.php best things going, my 10 year old cockers teeth are sparking white and clean
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >