Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
HiHoSilver
Dogsey Senior
Male 

02-03-2011, 07:59 PM

Sad rescue dog arrived today.

Don't read on if you need cheering up.This isn't the thread that will do it for you.

A rescue that I foster for was in a dilemma today.It's a 'one man band' outfit that operates out of the lady's house so most of her dogs are fostered out while they await their new homes.(I take in her difficult ones - ie aggressive and DA types.)
She takes in dogs,has them vetted, restores them to health when necessary(all out of her own pocket) and when they're fit they're fostered.Fine.
But today she's moving.Only 10 miles down the road but it's a lot for a single lady to manage even without having to move 20 cats and a dozen or so dogs.I told her weeks ago to bring the dogs here so she could move in peace and collect them when she was settled.Dear child couldn't organise a booze up in a brewery so it was today she turned up with two rescue dogs that she's only had for 2 weeks.They've spent most of that 2 weeks in and out of the vet and only got the health all clear a few days ago.
She was so ashamed of the state they were in.They were removed from a traveller site near death and they look like skeletons.Sound familiar to anyone?I'm good with those!
(She saw Pooh Bear from arrival to gleaming recovery)These two were nowhere near as bad as he was and trotted in happily.2 hours later the lab collapsed.I thought it was epilepsy at first but no.It was her system shutting down.
I called the vet out first and then the rescue lady.I didn't want to put more on her plate than she was already dealing with today but she had to be told.She freaked of course but I told her I'd deal with it,no problemo,just concentrate on the move.Poor thing,she thinks I'll blame her!

The vet came and it's not looking good.The painkillers perked the bitch up a little but she still needed support to stand.
He gave her half a dozen injections - under the skin as her veins are too collapsed for intravenous - and she's settled now under a heat lamp with water (with electrolytes added) beside her head.
Nowhere to put in an IV line.
She was trying to wag her tail throughout but was too weak to manage more than a token flap.
I (and the vet - he hinted but didn't say)won't be surprised to find her gone in the morning.
I wish I could bring her inside but she's too weak to cope with the house hooligans.
I asked about hospitalising her but the vet said there was no point (not a good sign)
He said there's nothing they can do that's not being done here except deplete the rescue's bank account.
So it's wait and see.
Any prayers/candles lit for this little lady will be felt.

Her name is Venus.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2011, 08:03 PM
oh please give venus a hug from me.. world is so cruel .. and a hug for you too..i know how this feels xx
HiHoSilver
Dogsey Senior
Male 

02-03-2011, 08:11 PM
NOT a happy bunny tonight.Dammit feel so HELPLESS!Sometimes it's just too late..REALLY hope I'm wrong about this one.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2011, 08:14 PM
Originally Posted by HiHoSilver View Post
NOT a happy bunny tonight.Dammit feel so HELPLESS!Sometimes it's just too late..REALLY hope I'm wrong about this one.
its horrible feeling helpless..what will be will be tho
.. id be giving her cuddles and showing her we aint all bad...the thought of her still trying to wag her tail

please update xx
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2011, 08:18 PM
Dogsey vibs have worked before. So sending a zillion dogsey vibes to venus and some hugs to you.

I hope she is better in the morning and still in with the fight.
HiHoSilver
Dogsey Senior
Male 

02-03-2011, 08:21 PM
Been here before and I'll be here again.It never gets easier but every time I think I just can't take it there's another one who has a need for someone who can take it.
I couldn't run a rescue and deal with this every day.It's only about 4/5/6/7/8/ times a year I deal with dogs like Venus.

The REAL rescuers do it that many times a day.Hats off to them.

Dogsey vibes DO work.You're a great bunch.Thankyou for being you.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2011, 08:29 PM
Poor Venus sending all the vibes I can muster.
Please make sure you update us.
Kilos'-'Serenity
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-03-2011, 08:33 PM
More dogsey vibes coming Venus's way from all of us here.

After looking though Many Tears rescue site earlier and seeing the state of poor Pity and Mercy when they arrived there, miracles do happen. Heres hoping for another.
lisa01uk87
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2011, 08:34 PM
poor baby, sending all my dogsey vibes straight to venus, please give her a hug from me xxx
ruthshaw9
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-03-2011, 08:45 PM
Sending healing vibes. I really hope she makes it and can experience a good loving home that every dog should have.
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 > Last »