View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2005, 07:07 PM

George Best - threw away his chance for life?

Does anyone else, like me, have no sympathy whatsoever with this plonker? I find it very difficult when people "SELF DESTRUCT" again and again, to feel anything at all for them. With so many good people (Callum sadly lost at the tender age of 14 springs immediately to mind) losing their lives, Bestie is the last person in my thoughts and prayers.

What does everyone else think?
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2005, 07:11 PM
I can't say I am particularly sad about him either Vicki. He had his chance and threw it away again When I saw your post then I thought he had died Your are right there are a lot more deserving people in the world than an alcoholic ex-footballer
rob
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-11-2005, 07:19 PM
Originally Posted by Foxy
I can't say I am particularly sad about him either Vicki. He had his chance and threw it away again When I saw your post then I thought he had died Your are right there are a lot more deserving people in the world than an alcoholic ex-footballer
to right,he knew what would happen if he started drinking again it's a waist of a kidney that could of gone to someone who would appreciated more
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2005, 09:30 PM
Hear, hear!
Willow
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-11-2005, 09:41 PM
I have personal experience with someone very close to me receiving a transplant, and the fact that George Best threw away the opportunity at his new lease on life to go back to drinking again makes me sick to the core of my stomach.

I have absolutely NO sympathy for that man.
Shady
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-11-2005, 09:48 PM
iv seen first hand people that need transplants that could live full and active lives what a wast how must the family feel the gave away there loved ones liver for thim just to kill it like hes own im a life long man u fan and still feel the same why he was on the list is beond me he just spatt on the doners grave when he had the frist drink
enerosar
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-11-2005, 09:53 PM
I have no sympathy at all, its all self inflicted, im sure there were other people who would of made better use of the transplant he was given. When he does eventualy die he wants his organs to be donated.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2005, 10:00 PM
No sympathy what so ever I'm afraid. Some people say alcoholism is a disease. The way I see it is you don't have a disease out of choice, no one gets cancer because they choose to have it. At the end of the day it was his decsion to drink, no one forced him. A hard decsion granted, but he still had a choice. Not only that but he's taken a transplant someone else probably died waiting for.

Nope no sympathy from me, the man is a total waste of space.
franc1987
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-11-2005, 10:04 PM
I thought i was being heartless, saying that he doesnt deserve it but maybe not!!

George Best never deserved the transplant and he certianly doenst deserve any sympathy!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-11-2005, 10:14 PM
Ihave to say I take a slightly different veiw on this........firstly I will say I am not sure he should have been given the transplant , but hay! who are we to judge.............. as for "its all his own fault" then maybe it is or maybe like any illness and Alcoholism is an illness...... and it is not so simple to just "take a hold of yourself".......... I have just wittnessed a very young Man 42yrs with lots to live for be buried last week through Alcohol........some people just cannot cope as well as others and this is not the first time I have seem someone loose a battle with Drink/drugs...........

Try giving up something you like say chocolate/coffee/sweets, a nice glass of wine, for a few weeks and see how you crave for it............

Maybe he is on a "self destruct"......but I dont think there are many peole who really are like that, more than likely he is just to weak a person to pull himself through it.

Transplants are a very needed part of life , and I do think if you are given a chance at a new start.... you should be stable enough to cope and pull through it.............annd I dont think he was.

Sorry to rant a bit.........but I firmly beleive that Addiction to anything is not self inflicted, yes nobody makes you take Drugs/ Alcohol....... but when it takes hold it must be a very long and hard road to getting back up there, and I thank God it has never happened to me and mine!
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 > Last »