Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2011, 02:26 PM

Shepherding pony

I am hoping to eventually be confident enough to gather and check the sheep on Marilla Shepherds have used ponies over the centuries, using the pony rather like the modern day quad bike, and it would be great to be able to do something useful on her as well as all the hacking out I intend to do

The only "slight" problem I can see so far is that every time we gather the sheep up, she (and her partner in crime, our Shetland) seem to take great delight in running through the middle of the flock with heads down and kicking their feet Now, I don't know whether it is just high spirits as neither have been in work for a while, whether it is a sign of happiness that spring is on the way ... or, something more sinister, such as they don't like sheep and are trying to decapitate them (I hasten to add, no sheep have ever been hurt) Marilla came off a mixed farm (cattle and sheep) and her previous owner never used her for shepherding (although did use their stallion) but said she is well used to livestock etc, so I hope it is one of the former possible reasons

I do have a couple of shepherdess friends who have used ponies in the past (and one who still does) so I will be getting their advice on the "issue". I will let you know what she says.

Just wondered whether anyone had ever come across shepherding ponies before.
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2011, 03:26 PM
I would love to do this on my youngster, she is part Criollo and they use them to herd cattle in their native country.

I think it's probably just high spirits with your horses, they know the spring is coming, I took my youngsters rug off today to give her a breather and she was galloping all over the place bucking and farting
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2011, 08:22 PM
Haha love the bucking and farting description

I think you are probably right about the horses knowing spring is coming. I just wish it would hurry up and arrive!
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

17-02-2011, 08:31 PM
I used to love watching that TV program Rawhide as a kid, (probably before your time but got Clint Eastwood started in films) maybe you could be the star of a new TV series called Wollies Bet you'd look pretty good in the leathers and with a big cowboy hat
Ravenwood
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-02-2011, 10:46 PM
Moobli - on the moors here we have wild Exmoor ponies that are rounded up once a year and horses and riders are always used (although quad bikes have joined in recently!). Exmoor ponies were used by farmers back in the day (before quads) to check the stock etc.

When you say they dive into the flock, I take it you mean they are loose out with them at the time? I think this is perfectly natural- its all a game

I am pretty sure she wouldn't try and do this whilst you were riding her.

One of my horses will chase the dogs (well usually only Toby - the other two are too quick!) but she wouldn't dream of doing so under saddle and bridle.

I reckon you and Marilla (fab name by the way) will be just fine and practise makes perfect!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2011, 09:38 AM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
I used to love watching that TV program Rawhide as a kid, (probably before your time but got Clint Eastwood started in films) maybe you could be the star of a new TV series called Wollies Bet you'd look pretty good in the leathers and with a big cowboy hat
Interesting image

Originally Posted by Ravenwood View Post
Moobli - on the moors here we have wild Exmoor ponies that are rounded up once a year and horses and riders are always used (although quad bikes have joined in recently!). Exmoor ponies were used by farmers back in the day (before quads) to check the stock etc.
When you say they dive into the flock, I take it you mean they are loose out with them at the time? I think this is perfectly natural- its all a game
I am pretty sure she wouldn't try and do this whilst you were riding her.
One of my horses will chase the dogs (well usually only Toby - the other two are too quick!) but she wouldn't dream of doing so under saddle and bridle.
I reckon you and Marilla (fab name by the way) will be just fine and practise makes perfect!
Thanks Fleur. I think you are probably right, and she probably wouldn't be as frisky if I were riding her. Yes she is loose with the sheep, and spends much of her time with sheep and the Shetland pony. She is usually very kind and gentle in nature, so it is probably just seen as a great game.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2011, 09:39 AM
Also meant to say I have seen a few documentaries on the Exmoor ponies, and find it all really fascinating and interesting how they round them up, bring them in, and how the ponies are schooled etc.
Ravenwood
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-02-2011, 07:54 PM
I love the ponies - they keep in such great condition all year round. Such a shame that they are practically worthless despite being a rare breed. You can pick them up at the sales (youngsters straight off the moor) for around £50

The majority are bought by the meatman.
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2011, 07:13 PM
My first pony was an exmoor...we bid against the meatman and got her.
She was very, errr, quirky! but ended up taking me to sj national championships and we also used her in harness to pull felled trees through the forest- so versatile

I would say her behaviour is probably a combination of spring grass and general excitement. She will probably be absolutely fine when under saddle.

Your story reminds me of an incident when i was younger...
We hand reared a couple of lambs, when the first came she was in the yard and managed to sneak off into the field where the horses are while i was mucking out. Next thing i heard the thunder of feet- realised where she had gone and our tb was chasing her round trying to trample her! he was seriously demented...ended up me hanging on to his ear and tongue (no headcollar on) shouting for help for 20 minutes before somebody heard!!
She was none the worse for wear and after proper introductions(over a fence!) they ended up best buddies and used to lay down together in the field!

Sorry! bit of a ramble!
mad4jacks
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-02-2011, 10:53 PM
Originally Posted by Ravenwood View Post
I love the ponies - they keep in such great condition all year round. Such a shame that they are practically worthless despite being a rare breed. You can pick them up at the sales (youngsters straight off the moor) for around £50

The majority are bought by the meatman.
Do you know when the sales are on ?????

I think i might try and rescue some (i will drag YS along to).
Hate the thought of the meat man. I have had a couple of horses that where on there way untill i took them on.

If you know the dates can you let me know.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >