View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tinglesnark
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-02-2011, 03:59 PM

My mother is driving me CRAZY over her DA GR!

I have managed to get her to agree to seeing a trainer but she is still insisting that he is already "trained" and will not have it that SHE holds the key to helping him to deal with, hopefully overcoming his DA.
He attacked Delilah for a second time with serious intent the last time we were there. we got through a whole weekend with them uneasily ghosting each other and vigilant but calm supervision. Then whilst collecting our things to leave, we took our attention off them and BOOM, he pinned her to the floor with his paws and bit her shoulder. he was then called off and smacked on his size able rump which helped a lot....NOT! it was a deep bite that took 4 weeks to heal. luckily not deep enough for stitches though so phew...

i have said that until she gets him help, i wont take Delilah back there. I do not think, from observing him, that it is a usual "elder disciplining a pup" - he has serious issues and even their vet was concerned that he "shoots to kill"

As you can imagine, my poor girl is now very frightened of other dogs and wets herself when she hears one bark i have found a fab trainer and we aim to work together to teach her to deal with her fear but i am so angry with mum over this! she has only ever house trained him! he is ball obsessive too, she doesnt walk him but throws the ball until he pants and then they go home she has friends that walk him on a gentle leader but he is a tank without it ....

oh i could go on, i am that annoyed! the other stuff is irrelevant, i am concerned about the DA and the implications for my girl and i hate know it alls that know nothing!

ahh i feel lighter for the rant, thanks!

x
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-02-2011, 04:31 PM
glad you feel better!!!..not so sure of personal issues.but....this dog need help, can you do it? just a thought....and for the dog that got bit...one thing i do to get o dog back on track after an episode where they are scared of other dogs ,is ...to.allow other dog to sniff him...lots of dogs .if possable...it seemed to work for me...teaches how to be greeted,someting like that...mine just got better at it....hope all goes well with your situation....respectfully..phil
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2011, 05:31 PM
Could you get her to read a book? Try Fight! by Jean Donaldson.
After all, you`re her daughter. What do you know?
Tinglesnark
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-02-2011, 06:23 PM
Thanks phil and claireanddaisy.
I would train him but I live quite a distance from her so it isn't really possible - I have st her a few books but she lent them out... As you say, what do I know? LOL!
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-03-2011, 12:01 AM
good luck to..its not a bad place to rant!!!!hope the pup is fine...
Tinglesnark
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-03-2011, 11:03 AM
aw she is fine now thankfully, just not sure how to proceed from here.
Would be grateful for some tips or just a ""what i would do in your shoes"

is it wise to keep them separated and just not take her there? It will be difficult to avoid unless i board her..

I am stuck here because it all depends on her and she clearly cant be bothered to train him...
lisa01uk87
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 11:08 AM
could you convince her to see a behaviourist or trainer ( with the comprimise that you pay for the first session) maybe with you offering to pay it may appeal to her more

short of that i would just keep your pup away, the last thing you need is for your pup to develop a "fear" of other dogs because of one DA dog