Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kate1982
New Member!
Female 

12-01-2011, 02:22 PM

Special Home Needed

A friend of mine suggested I post on here about Bruno. I am a dog fosterer with the Yorkshire Rose Dog Rescue and I am hoping there is a fantastic dog savvy home out there for this amazing guy. So here goes.

Bruno is a 1 year old gsd x working lab. (Collie has also been mentioned but the predominant breed is GSD.)
I think I would be best to say what Bruno needs as we are looking for a very special home for him.

Bruno needs an experienced and confident handler. (Preferably someone who has had experience with GSD.)
Bruno needs consistency and structure. He takes his cues from you and is constantly learning.

Bruno needs to live in a child free home. He is good with kids but he was brought up with 3 young boys who were constantly play fighting with him so he can get very boisterous round children if not checked. Therefore to avoid any accidents we would prefer a child free home.

He is an amazing dog. Very, very intelligent, affectionate and trainable. However he sometimes thinks it's more fun trying to train you. He has come on so much since we have had him but he is still learning. So needs someone willing to carry on with his training. He knows lots of tricks which I'm sure he would love to show you. He is fantastic off lead with a good recall and loves to play fetch. Walks well on the lead most of the time but can pull when excited, which is usually at the beginning of a walk. Very good with other dogs however has never lived with another dog so I don't know how he would be in a multi-dog home. He is vaccinated, wormed, fleaed, chipped and neutered and ready to find a forever home.

There is so much more I could tell you about Bruno but this would turn into an essay. I would love to speak to anyone who thinks that this cheeky chappie maybe the one for them but please do be aware that as I have already said Bruno does need an experienced owner.

Please pm me if you think you might be able to give this boy a home. Or you can read more about our charity on our website.
kate1982
New Member!
Female 

12-01-2011, 02:33 PM
Just realised I don't think you can message me as I'm new. But as said you can see him on the website.
kate1982
New Member!
Female 

13-01-2011, 10:23 AM
Ok. So I haven't gotten any response for Bruno from anywhere!
What is it do you think that is putting people off?
Have I been too descriptive? Are the pictures not nice?
Or is it just the wrong time of year?
Please help.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2011, 10:35 AM
He's a lovely looking dog. I imagine the problem is the same that every rescue is facing - more dogs than there are homes.
He sounds lovely from his description and I don't think there's really anything you could "fix" - the only slight negative is not living with children, but you have very sensible reasons for that and think it's a good choice to not risk it.
Have you contacted any GSD rescues to try to get a bit more publicity for Bruno? I know several are happy to advertise GSDs and GSD crosses on behalf of other rescues.
The other thing is to get him out there in the public in the hope of his new owner-to-be spotting him. Going to the local park at the weekends, taking him around town, going to dog events like shows, group dog walks, etc. and have him parade around in a coat that states "I need a home!". With a working breed and possible Collie in there, maybe you or someone you know locally could look into something like agility - see if a local club would do a freebie/cheap session for a rescue to see how he does, and that would open up a few more potential homes (in agility circles)?

Sadly there are plenty of absolutely lovely dogs out there who are just sat in rescue despite tons of redeeming qualities. Fingers crossed a home comes along for Bruno soon.
kate1982
New Member!
Female 

13-01-2011, 12:49 PM
Thanks for your reply. I'm glad you like the photos I thought he looks very handsome.

I have been getting him out and about as much as possible. Will just hope his forever home comes along. He is soooooo intelligent and loves to work so would love him to go on to do an activity. I have him searching and retrieving and we have tried agility/heelwork etc.
Thanks again.
xx
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2011, 01:05 PM
The pictures are lovely and the description honest - but as said above there are many more dogs than homes at the moment...so it's slow for most dog charities...it's nothing personal against you or Bruno.
Good luck with a home for him, it may be that bit harder as no children and preferably no other dogs...but hopefully the right home will come along in time