View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2010, 03:18 PM

Please help with feeding dilemma - Wainwrights/Autarky/Burns ...???

Right..Im sure alot of this has previously been talked about on the forum but Im really struggling with my lots feeding!

I asked a short time ago about Autarky food and by the sounds of it, its not the best??
I bought a bag of this from costco as it was a good deal, pricewise, before I started previous post.

Anyway, with the possible addition of another collie next month I want to really sort out their food once and for all!

At the moment they are on wainwrights, but iv read about burns and worked out that it would be slightly cheaper to feed them this, even though I always thought it was an expensive food they only need 100grams per 10kg of bodyweight!

ALSO Iv heard of some people that have had problems with burns?

I just need some opinions and experience from people who have fed/tried these foods.

As i say Iv already got a bag of Autarky that I havent opened yet. :S
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2010, 04:28 PM
My Westie thrives on Burns, but my Collie cross doesn't.

My Collie x did well on Arden Grange, though, and she's doing brilliantly on CSJ Champ, which is very inexpensive. In fact, she'd doing better on the CSJ than the Arden Grange! She does get things mixed with it right enough, like chicken, tuna, sardines, Nature Diet etc.

Depends entirely on the dog, though. You could always try them and see what food suits them best.
lianne1983
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-10-2010, 06:07 PM
Joe my EBT x lab is on burns and loves it, never had a problem with him eating it and looks great. He is 25kg and gets approx 240g a day and a 7.5kg bag last us between 5-6 weeks.
astle9
Dogsey Senior
Male 

18-10-2010, 06:31 PM
Autarky is fine, all 3 of mine had this prior to me switching to raw and they are all as fit as a fiddle, great coats, good condition, lots of energy.
I switched to raw to give my dogs a more natural diet away from commercial dog food but when short i would still gladly give autarky.
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2010, 01:58 PM
Why don't you try CSJ (sorry to confuse the issue )

Ceri who owns the company originally made this food for her working collies. They are very helpful and send out great samples.

Not sure if its ok to post but here is a link:

http://www.csjk9.com

I have mine on Lamb and rice sensitive at present but have used various other CSJ foods. The Champ my two did very well on too, its very reasonably priced as well.

The lamb and rice is comparable to Burns, it has good meat content 26% and its gluten free.

And no, i'm not on commision
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2010, 08:09 PM
Originally Posted by greyhoundk View Post
Why don't you try CSJ (sorry to confuse the issue )

Ceri who owns the company originally made this food for her working collies. They are very helpful and send out great samples.

Not sure if its ok to post but here is a link:

http://www.csjk9.com

I have mine on Lamb and rice sensitive at present but have used various other CSJ foods. The Champ my two did very well on too, its very reasonably priced as well.

The lamb and rice is comparable to Burns, it has good meat content 26% and its gluten free.

And no, i'm not on commision
thanks for that Ill have a look
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2010, 08:26 PM
Problem is, a diet can be 110% perfect on paper but just not suit a dog. I tried Burns on several of my dogs, not long after it was brought out and everyone was raving that it was one of the best foods available. Unfortunately my dogs soon got musty-smelling, dull coats, lost weight and didn't seem to enjoy mealtimes. But others did and still do swear by it. Some dogs will totally thrive on anything though - even cheapo 95% cereal meals, and others will struggle on lots of brands, I think it's a case of finding the best sounding brands that fit your budget and seeing how the dogs get on with them.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2010, 05:09 AM
If Wainwrights suits your dogs and you are only thinking of changing it to hopefully save a few pennies then I would not bother. You could end up with all sorts of problems and upset tummies keep changing foods.
It could end up costing you more in the long run and if it ain't broke I wouldn't try and fix it.
Take the Autarky back and change it.
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2010, 11:08 AM
Originally Posted by madmare View Post
If Wainwrights suits your dogs and you are only thinking of changing it to hopefully save a few pennies then I would not bother. You could end up with all sorts of problems and upset tummies keep changing foods.
It could end up costing you more in the long run and if it ain't broke I wouldn't try and fix it.
Take the Autarky back and change it.
its not all about the cost. I was feeding them fab, but recently they became itchy and we narrowed it down to the food so have recently changed them to wainwrights. They are okay on this at the moment but their itchiness on the other food only started after about a month, so I want to keep my options open. They have stopped itching quite as much as they were, but have definatly not stopped completely, which is why I was thinking of alternatives such as autarky, which may stop their problems all together
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2010, 03:44 PM
If they have food intolerances then I would suggest you feed Wainwrights or Wafcol Salmon and Potatoe.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >