Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Andy1
Dogsey Junior
Male 

22-09-2010, 09:13 PM

Extra Large Dog Crate

My Newfie is getting big, and as she has problems with her hips and elbows she needs space to be able to stretch at night.

The crate she sleeps in is 48" Long x 30" Wide x 32" High (121cm x 76cm x 82cm), but need one quite a bit bigger. Does anyone know where I could get a big crate from?
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2010, 07:55 AM
I've seen people join two together by removing the end panels, could be an option if you have the room?
Did find this giant one but it's not cheap!
http://www.croftonline.co.uk/products.asp?partno=72ES
Maybe try Ebay? I'd be searching for Giant rather than Extra Large, as I expect most Extra Large will be 48" like you've got
Ang3l
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-09-2010, 08:40 AM
http://www.seapets.co.uk/products/do...ref=googlebase

£60 the cheapest I could find when I was looking
Elaine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2010, 08:47 AM
Must say the Croft crates are brilliant!! They do one about 60" I think. I have two of the 54" in my van and I have two dogs in one and three in the other and there is plenty of room for them to lie down, so should be big enough for you Newfi. I know they are not cheap, but they are well made and strong.
Andy1
Dogsey Junior
Male 

23-09-2010, 11:30 AM
Thanks for the replies.

A 72inch is about the right size and hadn't tried croft before, but that's quite expensive. There seems to be a big jump in price from 48inch to 72inch (even 54inch is very expensive from croft).

I did consider joining 2 together, but there would be a ridge where the two crates met, unless I really butchered the crates and just used the mesh to make a bigger one. The other issue with joining 2 smaller crates is the size of the door (too small).

I have asked a local engineering company to quote for one, but if they are more than croft I will just have to get one of them.

I have looked on ebay, and you're right most peoples idea of XXXL is the size I already have.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2010, 11:37 AM
You could perhaps try contacting some of the companies that make car cages too, and see if they can help? I know Barjo are one but there are some cheaper alternatives and if it's not going to be carted around in the car or involved in a car accident, you won't have to worry about it being quite so sturdy. "Hamster Baskets" was one company that was recommended to me when I asked elsewhere about car cages, they looked a bit too flimsy for my liking (as it'd be for a little car, so not like the car would offer loads of protection in a crash) but for a home crate it might be just the right sort of thing.
http://www.hamsterbaskets.co.uk/
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2010, 11:41 AM
I got one from ebay couple years ago and its massive, I totally miscaluated. Our 3 Boxers were able to lie down, move around in it together and have lots of room left. I only wanted it for the youngest who had separation anxiety at the time

I bought it outright, not through an auction and even with the carriage across to N Ireland the whole thing came to £46. It is black - if I were you I would contact one of the sellers on ebay and ask them to give you a price before you venture into paying a large amount of money out.

Are you on the mainland?
Andy1
Dogsey Junior
Male 

23-09-2010, 12:04 PM
I bought it outright, not through an auction and even with the carriage across to N Ireland the whole thing came to £46.
I don't suppose you remember the seller do you? Yes mainland, near Manchester.

I will try a few ebay sellers to see if they have any bigger crates, but even after searching for 'giant', the biggest is 54inches.

It wouldn't normally be much of an issue, but she needs to be able to stretch out fully. Which means a 6ft crate is needed.

Will also have a look at hamsterbaskets,
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2010, 01:14 PM
Could you could get one made to size?
http://www.doggycages.com/