View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Shelley01
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-10-2010, 03:53 PM

Feeding pumpkin to dogs - raw or cooked?

I would like to feed some Pumpkin to Malaika as i believe it is quite good for dogs in moderation.
She has been very interested whilst we have been carving our lanterns.
However i'm not sure wether to give it raw or cooked, can anyone advise please ?
scottyvdub
Dogsey Senior
Male 

31-10-2010, 04:18 PM
i think i read somewhere its really good for dogs with dodgy tummys, i would cook it and give it warm
mattsgal
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-10-2010, 04:33 PM
hi, a very small amount cooked should do your dog no harm. i`ve given it to my SBT bitch when she had a slightly upset tummy, it worked for her.
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2010, 06:14 PM
I would cook and puree it, i've seen it recommended for bad stomachs and mostly its been tinned pureed pumpkin
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2010, 06:18 PM
Originally Posted by greyhoundk View Post
I would cook and puree it, i've seen it recommended for bad stomachs and mostly its been tinned pureed pumpkin
Yes - it's frequently mentioned on American dog & cat websites to add fibre, bulk out a meal or for delicate stomachs, as canned pumpkin is cheap as chips and easy to get over there. If you can find here (I've only ever seen it once) it's silly money!

Just to add, the canned variety is cooked (as is all canned food).
Shelley01
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-10-2010, 09:02 PM
Thanks for your replies.
I have read a bit about Pumpkin and Dogs and it seems it's a good source of fibre and vitamins, particularly A.
As there are pumpkins around at the moment i have decided to freeze some for her and will feed in moderation.
Have given her a few small chunks raw with her tea and will also cook some for later use.
She certainly likes it.
Jenn~n~Luke
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-11-2010, 01:47 AM
Pumpkin is great for dogs who have tummy issues/trots. I wouldn't give it too often however because it can and will cause constipation, but once in a while is fine. Make sure if you get the canned stuff it's not spiced.
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2010, 02:30 PM
There are several interesting things a pumkin can provide for dogs:
  • Cut a slice off the top & hollow out the pumpkin & freeze a few chunks raw (nice ice lollies).
  • Cook & puree some of the flesh & add to food.
  • Put raw flesh through juicer, add juice & pulp to food.
  • The hollow pumpkin then makes a creditable impersonation of a football & can be chased & chewed around the garden until it eventually collapses ~ then the remainder of the flesh can be chewed.
  • The "lid" you've sliced off the top then makes a creditable impersonation of a frisbee & can be slung around the garden for your dog to chase.

Now what to do with the seeds........?
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2010, 03:12 PM
Dogs can't digest raw vegetables unless they're blended/mushed up/cooked because their digestive system lacks the enzymes to break down cell walls - so I imagine the pumpkin would provide more nutritional value lightly cooked or raw but blended/processed somehow.
bugzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-11-2010, 05:39 PM
My lot prefer it raw than cooked.. When I was carving the pumpkins this year I had extra helpers with Erik and Meeka both trying to eat the pumpkin's as I was carving it... Meeka prefered the mushy stuff as I was scraping away at a design, but Erik wasn't fussy he wanted to eat it all.

I did notice their poo was firmer to pick up after they had been eating pumpkin though,which was a bonus

Oh and Aura I think is quite partial to pumpkin pie, as when i'd cooked a couple for the hubby and was leaving them on the worktop to cool, Aura stealthly sneeked into the kitchen and helped herself to almost a full pie before I caught her!, I was expecting her to have an upset stomach due to the evap milk and sugar etc in the pie.. but nope that dog has the stomach of an ox!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >