Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Laura-Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-08-2010, 09:19 AM

Spaying bitches?

Just wondering I find so much conflicting info on spaying bitches. Ive always been told that bitches should not be spayed until at least 3 months after there season which is why its meant to be contreversial to have pups done at 6-8 months? But on here I keep seeing people getting there dogs done just after a season or when in phantom. Ive also been told you cant get a bitch done when in phantom.

Can anyone clarify? Totts is getting done early october, 6 months after her season, 4/5 months after her phantom basically because I cant afford it just now (damn vet bills) so am just wondering out of interest.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-08-2010, 09:27 AM
It's usually 2 months from the end of the last season or 3 months from the start of the last season which amounts to the same thing. If you leave it six months from her last season she will probably be in season again and the vet will prefer to leave it until the mid point between seasons to minimise bleeding during the operation.
Laura-Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-08-2010, 09:47 AM
You got me thinking, I knew she would be ok for when I can afford it, worked out her Season started 27th April and she'll be getting done nearest time after pay day 27th September so likely beginning of October, I counted (May, June, July, August, September, October as full months which is how I came to 6) so apparantly I cant count, lol. So it'll be 5 months and possibly a few days.

Of course if she is back to swollen at this point she'll just need to wait which I dont want to put her through again since shes had not the best of seasons. Unfortunately i cant afford it this pay or next.

I was just wondering if there was anything set in stone since I hear people doing it all different times out of curiosity.

Last time she was booked to get spayed she started the day of the appointment!
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2010, 10:10 AM
It should be mid way between 2 seasons for the reasons Trouble said. It would be best to wait until after her next season now as it's a bit late.
I've heard too that it's best for her to have one season first but I don't know if this is right. Why don't you chesk with your vet or vet nurse? They're better to give advice.
Laura-Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-08-2010, 10:31 AM
lol ok thanks guys appreciate your comments I was just just wondering in general terms not for myself. It may be safer to do mid way but I dont even know how frequent her seasons are yet, if 6 months, less than 6 months, 9 months etc etc.

I know for Totts it would be better if she can avoid another season. Believe me if I could have got her done by now I would've and have already tried. Shes 2 and already been bred from :@ grrr so shes beyond the first season of course. I was just wondering in general term why before the 3 months after, but do appreciate what you's are saying with regards to coming up for her next one. Just goes to show I come under one of those I was talking about Hadnt heard about any problems with getting them done before a season until now, just goes to show how many different views on when to spay. Will see if the vets have any concerns, we've discussed a few times when to get her done and they've never noted that as an issue before. I already know my vet won't put her through it if she does'nt think its safe. So will see what happens with Totts.