Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2010, 06:54 PM

Just got a humungous tick off Zena!

I've never seen one quite like it It was very pale but huuuuuge right on her chest, and thank goodness I got a proper tick removing tool whilst at the vets last week, coz it just popped out still alive, everything in tact, I think that little green tool is just brilliant!

What on earth is it though? If it had a good feed it would be darker, and I've seen loads of them, but this was very pale and twice the size of those normal ones? A deer tick maybe? Christ, I'm glad I got that off anyhow!
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2010, 07:02 PM
eeeewwwwwwwwww.....they always creep me out!!

has she been near any outdoor animals of late, horses, cows etc?

A few years back i found one on china just before going to bed. She sleeps on the bed and i got VERY paranoid about one possibly making its way to my...ahem....hairy area... so the bed was stripped, hoovered, wiped down and several layers worn that night till i could get some treatment on her!

Still makes me shudder now!
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2010, 07:10 PM
Oh Alexandra that post made me laugh although I'd have been just the same as you had that been on my dog!!

Helen, you need to tell Zena that she has to stop being such an attention grabber! Glad you found it and even gladder you got it out!!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2010, 07:44 PM
PMSL at you there Alexandra , I think I'd have sloped off to the couch and let her keep the bed!!!

We've always got horses, cows around here and sheep, and deer of course, I see where they've spent the night, coz the long grass has been flattened, so maybe it was a deer tick then?

Don't laugh Claire, but she went all "strange" on me when I'd discovered it, she ran out on the driveway and wouldn't come in I've had this before with her when she was ill, so I decided to open the car door, she jumped in, I had good light in there, my glasses on, and I went in with my new green tool, then it plopped on the floor, so I slid it onto an old parking ticket that was lying there and put it in the bin! I should have killed the blighter but I was more concerned about Zena being all weird, and wanted to get her out of that car coz it was hot, so I sprayed inside the bin with fly killer lol! I nearly killed meself doing that, I was choking!!!! I hope that killed it. Do they fly??? It might fly out when I open it I sprayed the bin about 5 times though, it oughta be dead by now surely I don't want to go bin poking to kill it properly, maybe I'll just tie the bag up and give it to the dustmen so I know it won't have a 2nd chance of getting a Zena fix!

They've got to be the most gruesome little beggers out haven't they, it made me cringe the way it wobbled about on the floor there!!!
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2010, 07:53 PM
awww bless zena! ive noticed that if China knows im trying to look at something in particular, ie a lump, an insect on her etc she tries to get away and acts weird, until i sort her out and then she comes snuggling!
madisondobie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-07-2010, 07:57 PM
Ooh hate them ive found two this week on my cat gnasher and we dont live next to any horses deer or sheep so no idea where he is getting them from he never goes further then the front garden hes getting old and lazy!? just glad madison hasnt had any yet ive ordered some frontline for them both though.
Kalasin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-07-2010, 08:22 PM
I've picked about 6 of the things off various boarding dogs we've had in and 2 off Kiba, one under his armpit and really glad I noticed that one whilst I was giving him cuddles. The other was a tiny still red one just above his eye which was a nightmare to get off because he didn't want the tick tweezers anywhere near his eye bless him.

I hate them. Especially once you've got them off and they wiggle around on whatever you put them on. I always squish them.

Steve found a tick on his leg last week . Gross gross gross.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2010, 09:29 PM
Until this year mine never had any
Now Ben has had 1 and Mia 2 - the last one yesterday - and it was a biggie!

I have been told deer ticks are very small??

I would get Steve to go to the doctors
My friend had a bite last year and the doc said it MIGHT have been a tick so he had to treat her incase she got lymes
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2010, 09:37 PM
She may well have picked up on your 'bleurgh' when you discovered it and that's why she went abit odd on you? Just a thought. I'm pretty sure they don't fly, just as well really! Gruesome little things that they are! Hope you're ok after your fly killer inhalation and I reckon you will have killed the little blighter!
lisa01uk87
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2010, 09:50 PM
id never seen one till last month when i found one on my mums dog, didnt know how to remove it, but she was going straight back to my mums in the morning, by the time i got there it was gone, theres me panacking it could be in the house somewhere, ty had the vet that afternoon so i asked them to check him over to make sure it wasnt on him and the vet obliged, none on him, i was told not to worry if i dont find it as because it was big and fell off it likely died
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >