View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2010, 12:16 PM

Lotty's hip test results (Crufts evictee)

I don't know if this has been discussed or not yet, but does anyone remember Lotty, the GSD who was told to go home from crufts because a vet expressed concerns about her hips?

Well I read in dogs today that her owner Pam Quarton has got her hip results, she was tested with the PennHip test, and she scored a total of 8, in a breed where the mean score is 19.

This is agreat result for breeder and more importantly dog, but I think it highlights that dogs should not be allowed IMO to crufts unless they have all the breeds recommebed health tests and can show the results, with the exception of the display dogs for charities like dogs for the disabled etc.

Oh and Pam Quarton has also recieved a letter from the KC asking her to renew her membership for the Accredited Breeder Scheme too.
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2010, 02:00 PM
I don't remember the story, but a good result for her and her breeder
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2010, 02:30 PM
Nope I dont remember hearing anything about this either. Great news for the dog, breeder and the breed as a whole though.

ohh and I would only advise people to test if they wanted to breed really, not all show people want to breed. (not sure about her case) but not all show people would want to pay out to health test for all things, when all they want to do is 4, 5 or 6 shows a year to share a hobby with their dogs.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2010, 02:33 PM
I remember this. Well done her breeder.

It goes to show that things aren't always as they seem
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2010, 02:58 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
Nope I dont remember hearing anything about this either. Great news for the dog, breeder and the breed as a whole though.

ohh and I would only advise people to test if they wanted to breed really, not all show people want to breed. (not sure about her case) but not all show people would want to pay out to health test for all things, when all they want to do is 4, 5 or 6 shows a year to share a hobby with their dogs.
I feel that they should test, because if anything it can just be used to show that show dogs are healthy, the results can be used in statics to try and get a better indication of the breeds overall health etc, but back to the first bit people can show that show dogs are not being bred to be unhealthy and all that it can monitor different sires and dams to see whether they are breeding the best, not just in the ring, but health wise too, also I think that if a dog had something like dreadful hips etc this should be knwon, as even if they adhere to the breed standard they can't be good examples of the breed IMO.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2010, 03:04 PM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
I think that if a dog had something like dreadful hips etc this should be knwon, as even if they adhere to the breed standard they can't be good examples of the breed IMO.
Does'nt work like that, In our breed no tests required nor reccommended, we know of eye issues and test for them.

what happens if we get a carrier, which just to be clear im showing a PLL carrier at present, shes took 2 firsts, and qualifed for crufts. Is she a bad example of the breed?

what happens if you get a dog thats affected for say PLL? are they bad examples of the breed because of this? even though advise and evidence is out there that says you should still use them in a breeding programme?

It may work with hips and elbows, but not all breeds require them tests. and you cant just state that some breeds can only be shown if clear of all problems when others are shown with problems.

If health tests needed to be proved then imo it would be out of order to dismiss a dog with slightly bad hips from the showing ring, would it be seen as a fault in your opinion if a dog has bad hips? If so like all other faults it would be taken into account and points knocked off when judging the over all dog.

Would you like to see it in place just so dogs with bad hips couldnt be shown and then go on to be bred?

There is not perfect dog, its want breeders aim for.

Breeding and showing are actually two different things. showing may be apart of the breeding circle, but not all dogs will go on to be bred from you know.
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2010, 03:07 PM
Puppies can't be tested for some things.

It would seem somewhat unfair for pet owners (like me) to have to spend hundreds on health testing, just to enjoy their hobby .... although I actually do have hips and eyes done so the breeders know all is well
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2010, 03:12 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post

i disagree dd
.. while i do not plan to breed from Tupac i am going to get his hips scored.. i think the more animals scored the better(exp in a minority breed)
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2010, 03:14 PM
I don't know if this has been discussed or not yet, but does anyone remember Lotty, the GSD who was told to go home from crufts because a vet expressed concerns about her hips?

Well I read in dogs today that her owner Pam Quarton has got her hip results, she was tested with the PennHip test, and she scored a total of 8, in a breed where the mean score is 19.

This is agreat result for breeder and more importantly dog, but I think it highlights that dogs should not be allowed IMO to crufts unless they have all the breeds recommebed health tests and can show the results, with the exception of the display dogs for charities like dogs for the disabled etc.

Oh and Pam Quarton has also recieved a letter from the KC asking her to renew her membership for the Accredited Breeder Scheme too.
I'm probably going to look really stupid here but what is the Pennhip test and how does it compare to the BVA hip scoring tests?
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2010, 03:15 PM

Sad thing is the GSD breeders who do ALL(& I do mean ALL)the health tests are the very ones that the KC do not want to show their dogs. The KC are well known for preferring the"English"type of GSD(even the picture on the KC Breed standards was of an"English"type)& the breeders of this type do not health test their dogs-most don't evevn do the hips let alone any other tests

GSDs in Germany cannot be bred from if they have not been health tested, passed working tests & the Korung(Breed Survey) so simply having a dog whose hips score 8 isn't enough(Our German import GSD had 0 hip score)

The KC will never ban exhibitors from showing untested dogs-they would lose most of the entries from shows if they did.

BTW GSDs entered at the British Sieger have to have be from health tested parents & have had all the relevant health tests & working tests completed as well being tattooed/chipped. When the GSD(Alsatian) Club of the UK insist on this then maybe just maybe they will have taken a step forward
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »